Since Jan 2005 How Many Have Gone Thinner or Thicker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone thinner. In January of 05, I was running 5w40 in both my '99 F150 with the 4.6l V8 and my '88 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0l.

I'm now running 5w30 in the '99 F150 and 10w30/5w30 winter in the Jeep. Why did I change? Fuel mileage - I had a 5+% drop in fuel mileage running the 5w40 in my F150. My UOA's didn't show much difference in the results between the 5w40 and the xw30's, so I went back to the 30weights. The Truck's mileage is nicely back up again, and the Jeep has never cared...

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
I was discussing the BMW cam situation with the tech guru at Ferrari North America the other day. The lack of hardening was supposed to be cured by the 60 wt. oil they then changed to.

Instead the cams failed sooner and the whole engine suffered greater wear because of lubrication starvation.

aehaas

First time i've read about the cams having problems and starvation problems
shocked.gif
from the 10W60 in M3's.

Any more details?
cheers.gif

I'm broad spectrum. 5w-40 for the jeeps. 5w-20 for anything else when I have a mind to use it. Summer ..winter ..whatever. My daughter's 91 Taurus gets 5w-20 all year. My new long block 3.0 will get it too.

quote:

Originally posted by gtoracer:
Need to clarify,car burned 2qt in 200 miles on Sat,with the 2qt addition on Sun it burned no oil in 200 miles,sorry...Pete

Some times in oil consumption like yours ,a long trip "evaporates" the moisture out of the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
AEHaas I have gone gone thicker and thinner. Havoline Energy 5W30 in the Sube Outback 2.5 instead of BP Visco 5000 5W40 and a mix of 15W450, 5W30, 10W40 in the Mazda 626 GT (Turbo) clean phase (turbo seals leaking like a porous dam). Americans worry way to much about viscosity, it really does not matter that much.

cheers.gif
I agree ,just so the viscosity works for the ambient and operating temps.

My 2006 4 cyl Toyota pu will use 05w/20 due to the TSB .I used Mobil 1 in my '79 Ford 300 6 cyl when thats all M1 marketed. I tend to go with the mfg recommendations usually
grin.gif

I have gone thiner. I tried a 0W30 once since joining this site. I also do not use M1 15W50 anymore. I know use mostly 5W40. I would not hesatate to use M1 15W50 if I felt I needed it or just wanted to prove a point. For me 5W40 is the best all round comprimise and I feel comfortable useing it. No sense in useing a viscosity that makes you feel nervious.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:

quote:

Originally posted by gtoracer:
Need to clarify,car burned 2qt in 200 miles on Sat,with the 2qt addition on Sun it burned no oil in 200 miles,sorry...Pete

Some times in oil consumption like yours ,a long trip "evaporates" the moisture out of the oil.

do you actually think there was 2qts of moisture in my 5qt engine?? That would be hard to believe....Pete

[ May 27, 2006, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: gtoracer ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back