Simple Question About Mobil 1 ESP Oils

What is it about these oils that makes it better for catalytic converters? Is it lower sulfated ash?

I'm asking regarding gasoline engines, not diesels, as I don't have a diesel, but I've got a Jeep 3.8 that has had cats replaced. One at 100k miles and both at 155k. I'm looking for an oil that could potentially, possibly, make the cats last longer. This engine uses oil and I suspect that's the culprit in the short cat life. Then again, I've heard in general that Chrysler cats of that vintage (2008) frequently had cats that didn't have a good rep for long life.

I've got some Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w20 ready to go in this thing today for its next OCI.

If you weren't in Indiana, I'd almost suggest Fram straight 30 or straight 40, low volatility, being monograde you've got a high base oil viscosity, and low sulfated ash, ~700ppm phos, but that wouldn't be good to use during the winter, although it probably has a W rating somewhere around 15W or 20W, maybe 25w for the SAE 40 , which would may be ok, but you'd definitely want to have a good battery.
1627244393048.jpg

Less phosphorous, which is cat poison.

Have you tried a higher viscosity to reduce oil and phosphorous consumption?

Yes. Up to 0w40. That's a whole other world of conversation. Valve seats are fine, compression is excellent, and there are many theories as to where it goes. I think its the PCV, and more poor design than faulty valve. I've changed the valve multiple times with random effect, and when it does help, not for long. The engine will go a few thousand miles not using any oil at all then a few thousand using 3/4 quart per 1k miles or slightly more. No rhyme or reason to it. Common on these engines. I've seen a number of them well past 200k where the owners said they used oil all the way. Mine runs perfectly, except when the cats went bad.

So I bought a couple cases of Mobi1 1 ESP 0w20 (5w20 is required by Jeep) and then saw that it is high as heck in phosphorus, which surprised me. So it's going back. I saw Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 came in at under 550 on a Blackstone VOA here on Bitog, so that's significantly less than ESP. I've got a HUGE stash of Shell Rotella Gas Truck, mostly 0w20, which came in on a Blackstone VOA at 623. And 1 quart of 5w20 which came in at over 700. So I can either run through the RGT 0w20 and then go to M1 AFE, or just run the RGT stash through my daughter's Renegade and my 2018 Jeep.

I'm still trying to find a VOA on Mobil 1 EP 0w20.

And yes, btw, I'm running 0w20 over the 5w20 because I think it is generally better oil. And I've only got 1 jug of RGT in 5w20. I can run it elsewhere.

So, with phosphorus being the enemy, like I said, the ESP is going back. Funny they market it that way when it is so high in Ph.

Stuck oil rings....did quite a few under warranty. And ONLY use an OEM PCV valve....and make SURE its locked in valve cover....it should kind of snap in. If you are up for an experiment, can try some of the products out there that loosen up stuck rings.

Stuck oil rings....did quite a few under warranty. And ONLY use an OEM PCV valve....and make SURE its locked in valve cover....it should kind of snap in. If you are up for an experiment, can try some of the products out there that loosen up stuck rings.
Stuck oil rings is definitely one of the common things I've heard on these. But how does it go for awhile with very little consumption? I know the PCV is in there good. It is a gargantuan pain in the ass to get out!

What's a product you'd recommend trying? And what do you do to fix them? Jeep won't do anything with them unless I get to 1 quart per 1k mles. (I have the lifetime powertrain warranty.)

What's a product you'd recommend trying? And what do you do to fix them? Jeep won't do anything with them unless I get to 1 quart per 1k mles. (I have the lifetime powertrain warranty.)
Take out the spark plugs and do a piston soak using any number of solvents: Seafoam, Gumout Multi-System Tune-up, B12 Chemtool, Mopar Combustion Champer cleaner, etc...

Stuck oil rings is definitely one of the common things I've heard on these. But how does it go for awhile with very little consumption? I know the PCV is in there good. It is a gargantuan pain in the ass to get out!

Not stuck solid will do that....up and down on consumption. We ring them if not cylinder damage. Take it in and start a consumption test at dealer.....and take a little out between checks ;-)

Back