Simple automotive engine to rebuild?

Some unloved small block Chevy, like a 305 or 307. Forget the 350s, they go for more money. You should be able to pick up a 305 or 307 for a couple of hundred bucks.

Or similar in a Ford, like a 351, there should be lots of those in junkyards.

Or a 318 Dodge.

Stuff people don't usually build up for power, that's your best bet. Forget the OHC 4 bangers, cam in block domestic V8s are your best bet and dead simple.

Pretty much any flathead (very easy to show how the valvetrain works with the head off) or any pushrod engine. No real complexity difference between an inline 4-6 pushrod engine and a v8.

Yeah I love 302s but I wanna start off maybe on a 4 cylinder.
Might as well do something you can sell or use afterward

Small block v8 are small enough. Buy an engine stand and get crackin.
I suggest Vortech headed 350 from a truck or van.
Of if you can find a mid sixties 327 and sell it as a 'vette engine when you are done for 5 grand.

But if you want to do a 4 banger I would do a Honda. If its VTEC it will be a learning experience in the cam box for sure.

Last edited:
Any pushrod 4 cylinder. Dad and I rebuilt an old Ford Cortina engine when I was 12 years old, it was a gutless wonder but a piece of cake to rebuild.

Not what you want to hear, but if this is for teaching purposes, start out with an old Briggs flathead. Cut part of the head apart so that the people getting taught can see the piston move up and down and the valves open and close, but still see the spark plug screwed into the head. The engine is light enough that it can be rotated 180° on the table and the crankshaft can be rotated very easily by hand. Also have a white board next to this engine to show the intake, compression, power and exhaust modes of the otto engine cycle. A small Briggs (or perhaps a similar small engine that still has an external coil is better yet) takes up very little space and can be sitting side-by-side of your SBC, SBF, VW, or whatever else you have as a model.
I had a small Briggs sitting on a table next to a four-cylinder gasoline tractor engine that I was assembling when I was teaching my son how an internal combustion engine works. I had a white board showing the four strokes of an internal combustion engine and I got him to understand how an engine runs and makes power.
Luckily, he did NOT wish to go into the automotive field and I discouraged him from doing that anyway. :cool:

Old chevy straight six.
Chevrolet-turbo-thrift-six.jpg

Some unloved small block Chevy, like a 305 or 307. Forget the 350s, they go for more money. You should be able to pick up a 305 or 307 for a couple of hundred bucks.

Or similar in a Ford, like a 351, there should be lots of those in junkyards.

Or a 318 Dodge.

Stuff people don't usually build up for power, that's your best bet. Forget the OHC 4 bangers, cam in block domestic V8s are your best bet and dead simple.
you should be able to find someone to pay you to take a 307 off their hands 🤣

Maybe get an older "blown up" air cooled dirt or street bike. I think most have an iron sleeve in the cylinder, so you might not even need to do anything to the cylinder but a quick hone and the rest of the parts are pretty cheap. You might make some money on it and its something fun to drive when its done.
Rebuilding something like my Focus engine seems like a big project to have a simple $1500 car running again. Also removing and re-installing all the wiring, hoses, lines, etc, to get to the oily spinning parts, which all are most likely in spec, seems like a lot of work.

Chrysler / Dodge 3.3L, 3.8L. Simple, single cam, pushrod engine. Can get a running engine with accessories at Pull-A-Part for $200.00 (plus core charge, environmental fee). Parts are inexpensive and everywhere. Easy to find accessory drives, etc. Engine PCM is inexpensive too.

So you can build it AND run it to test your work. No need to worry about tuning, changing anything. Just build the engine, get some fuel to the injectors, 12 volts, and off you go!

ENGINE, 5 or 6 CYL W/ ACCESSORIES

$199.95 $10.00 $55.00

Last edited:
If I had to rebuild an engine on my own, I’d pick a SBC, Ford 302/351 for the aftermarket. But older Toyota engines seem easy to tear down, like the 22R/the M or JZ series I6s, and even the A/S/E engines in countless Corollas/Camrys/Tercels/Echos. There’s people who specialize in Toyota’s older V6s in the trucks, the VZ series.

Don’t be afraid of a DOHC engine. Often a $40 eBay spring compressor and $40 eBay cam alignment jig are (most) all the special tools you’ll need.

Learning a DOHC is likely more applicible to any future work you’d want to do on another engine. Like if you wanted change the timing belt someday on a personal car.

Man that’s just beautiful.
Thank you. My buddy and I have been working on performance cars since the mid 70's. Mainly Buicks and Chevrolet with a couple big block FE Fords thrown in.
During the week He runs a garage that does diesel maintenance - his home barn/garage has all the stuff a small private shop would need.
Painted factory colors and tried to be factory correct since it was a somewhat rare car and it just the "right" thing to do.
That funny looking air cleaner housing is factory original. It had no stickers.
I think Pontiac used it as well.

Back