Simple automotive engine to rebuild?

What would be a simple old car engine to screw around with on an engine stand or workbench, like take apart and put back together? I'm thinking like an old 4 cylinder Toyota. Something simple.

If this is for a "teaching class", I would get something that is plentiful in salvage yards, was or is made in several models of displacement, and is still current in many model cars today. A GM Ecotec 4 cylinder comes to mind.

Last edited:
All good suggestions. Vw aircoolds are easy and so are the slant 6's and old Ford 200 6cyl and Chevy GM 6 cylinders. The chevy 4cyl are pretty easy too and cheap.

The only difference between a VW air cooled and a Briggs and Stratton is basically the number of cylinders. I started with lawn mowers…. The VWs are kinda fun because they are light enough to be easily manhandled around the shop floor (driveway). I ran one with it tied down to my parent’s porch, something I couldn’t do with a v-anything.

a little I4 or even motorcycle engine in a test stand would be fun too.

If this is for a "teaching class", I would get something that is plentiful in salvage yards, was or is made in several models of displacement, and is still current in many model cars today. A GM Ecotec 4 cylinder comes to mind.
Honda 2.4 Liter 4 bangers were made for a very long time. Only recently have they stopped using them. There are millions of them out there.

Yeah I love 302s but I wanna start off maybe on a 4 cylinder.

Any Honda from the 1990s. B-series from CR-V/Prelude/Civic Si/Integra. D-series from basic Civics, like the one that @harry j has with ~620k miles (CLICK HERE). Junkyards will have tons of 1997-2001 automatic CR-Vs due to bad auto tranny design, so grab any engine from there, as those will still have tons of life left.

Back