Silverado Needs a Water Pump--GM Techs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 with 5.3 V-8. It looks like there are 2 pump styles, 1999-2003 and 2004-up. Each type requires a different thermostat and housing. I've read that dealerships are using the later style for everything.

Is there any benefit to using the newer pump? The older style pump and t-stat/housing are still available.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic

Is there any benefit to using the newer pump? The older style pump and t-stat/housing are still available.

Thanks

Good question! I have a '01 Silverado and my G/F has a '02 GM Sierra, both with 5.3 engines. Both are in great shape without any signs of a water pump problem.

I think the two styles would preform the same, but the cost may differ on what style you choose- keeping your old thermostat and pulley if applicable.

If I may approach this from another direction, the only negative thing on an 99-03 style water pump is that your choice of a new (not rebuilt) replacement would have to come from AutoZone (Duralast) or Kragen O'Reilly (Cardone), unless you can find new old stock OEM or an AC Delco. A new "one size fits all" style (99-06) from AutoZone will probably cost a little less then a AC Delco pump from a Distributor.

If I recall correctly and I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, Gates manufactures AC Delco and some NAPA water pumps. The choice there would be either a Gates, NAPA, or AC Delco water pump. Those pumps will definitely be the updated 99-06 style. That seems to be the direction I would go even though a thermostat would be an additional purchase and no looking back.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Rockauto lists a 99-03 AC Delco. Napa shows the same part number for 01 and 04. I'm mainly wondering whether the redesign was to improve performance, or just to simplify parts inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back