Silverado Gets A Diesel And Aluminum For 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have never understood why guys have a love for their truck brand and a huge disdain for another. Ford guys are the worst.

I have, by FAR and large, found Chevy guys to be the most belligerent when it come to brand loyalty.

Yeah, I don't get the brand thing. Buy the best product at the best price. IMO, RAM is starting to win that battle (and increasing market share because of it).

I have never understood why guys have a love for their truck brand and a huge disdain for another. Ford guys are the worst.

I have, by FAR and large, found Chevy guys to be the most belligerent when it come to brand loyalty.

Gonna stay out of this, since my brand is like in fourth place when it comes to full size...

It's About time. I really am not that fond of V shaped diesels.

I wonder how that works. Seems that trend to higher beltlines might enable taller engines, as a side benefit? Not sure how that plays out with those pedestrian collision standards, but higher belt line & need for large radiator openings might mean high hoods.

cause chevys suck!!

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Show me an owner who buys a $50k + truck from any manufacturer and then drops landscaping blocks into an un-protected bed...pure marketing [censored]. For the record I've owned both Chevy and Ford trucks over the years, all of them steel. But I drive a 2017 F150 for work and the bed has held up just fine over the past year of tossing tools into the spray lined bed.
Marketing works.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Show me an owner who buys a $50k + truck from any manufacturer and then drops landscaping blocks into an un-protected bed...pure marketing [censored]. For the record I've owned both Chevy and Ford trucks over the years, all of them steel. But I drive a 2017 F150 for work and the bed has held up just fine over the past year of tossing tools into the spray lined bed.
Marketing works.

Shows worst case scenario? Not many intentionally drive over curbs, but it would be nice if the OEM designed it to withstand that a few times, since we all know it does occur.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
One thing about the GM diesel is that it is going to be an inline six as opposed to the FoMoCo and FCA V6 diesels.

My wife has a 7.3 power stroke and I haven't liked V diesels since in the 1970s Coca Cola USA had V8 Cummins 903 in a few of their semis. The v engines do not have the feel of the inline engines.

One thing about the GM diesel is that it is going to be an inline six as opposed to the FoMoCo and FCA V6 diesels.

I hear ya there! I wish Ford would bring the straight six back. Now, that was a good engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I hear ya there! I wish Ford would bring the straight six back. Now, that was a good engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah it is!

Personally I'd probably line with biopolymer microtubule multi-axis array composite sheeting.

But perhaps a bit of plywood is insufficiently bling?

A local body shop near me had an F150-2015 model, that had a front end totaled. They replaced the hood with an aluminum one, and the fenders with steel ones. It was to save money. Why not just use all aluminum?
21.gif

The best vehicle I ever owned was a 2002 GMC K1500 SLE, ext cab, 4.8. Only A wheel hub and instrument cluster repair in 100k miles. Original brakes on it when I got the fever and traded that in on a new 2007 new body style Chevy Z71 k1500 LT ext cab 5.3. My first brand new vehicle. Days after the 36 month warranty expired I found both left and right floor boards saturated with rain water. Local dealers wanted me to write a blank check for them to diagnose the problem. They advised me to consult the dealer I bought it from to see if they would contact GM on a "good faith" repair. That small town dealer was shuttered during GMs restructuring. I drove it around for a while without carpet and padding, shopvacing the water out every time it rained. A local bodyshop claimed a faulty body seem under the wipers was likely the problem.
Needless to say I didnt have much good to say about GM but I was about to buy another GMC K2500 (2011) when the ford dealer offered me a better deal on my leaky chevy trade in.

As my 4 kids grow older and the trusty caravan odometer rolls over and over I find myself looking at full size suvs. A 2 year old, used, former rental suburban/tahoe/yukon is priced more than a new 2017 expedition mid level xlt. Im not sold on the longterm reliability of the ecoboosts.I love the looks of the durango...but...dodge, again. That leaves the thirsty japanese models (sequoia gets like 17mpg hwy??) or the sturdy, proven, push rod small block GM models. We rented a yukon xl and the wife loved it. When the time comes ill just have to hit harbor freight up for some of those cheap tarps to cover it when it rains.

Aluminum doest worry me much.
Freightliner cascadia class cabs have been aluminum. I'd say they hold up fairly well. The Grumman LLV are aluminum, they've outlasted the post offices expectations.
Many oem body panels have been aluminum. Early 90's towncars to late model explorers and even the late model aluminum bashing Chevy Silverado have aluminum hoods.

There's thousands upon thousands of $50k+ utes driving around Oz with linerless tubs, carrying all sorts of gear.

If the pictures I have seen thus far are accurate, I really like the looks of the 2019 Silverado and find the new diesel interesting. However, I do not wish to be a beta tester for GM so I will give it a couple years and let them get over their growing pains.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Sweet, looks like an Isuzu diesel I6. They make solid diesel engines.

Yes they do. And Isuzu played a large part in the Duramax V8 as well which has proven to be pretty good, too...

I remember opening the hood of a Honda S2000 that had an aluminum hood. Couldn't believe how lite it was. It almost came out of my hand when I flung it open. A prop-rod keeps it open so it would have been easy to do.

My wife's 2010 Mustang has an aluminum hood. It's lightweight, but whenever it gets a rock chip the metal under the chip turns a powdery white and the paint bubbles up around it. I'm not sold on the aluminum panels. I think Saturn had a better idea w/plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back