silly things you learned in grade school

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned that the hot lunches were far too salty.

Always wear knee pads when playing hockey.

That girl Stacey, who caught me staring at her hind-side, turned out a lot uglier now than she was back then. For me, a win.

The eraser that another guy shoved up my nose was stupid. Still hated that he did that.

Oh, and NEVER ride a bike up a small hill w/o hands on the handlebar. My bike suddenly stopped, I didn't. 4 days on the couch. OUCH.

And I'm pretty sure Sister Helen was gay (no joke).

I'm always amazed at the ignorance involved when people speak of "private" schools.

All of the private schools I attended gave scholarships to those that could not afford to come otherwise. None of these schools were more than $4000 per year. I received a much better curriculum, teacher involvement, lower class size, and I attended an environment that could be considered adequate or above standard for learning.

My parents sacrificed for this option and still had to pay taxes for public schools, even though I did not attend. Where did that tax money go?

Do private schools pick and choose - to an extent, yes they do. They make parents sign forms that state a number of different things as well - from school attire and behaviour to forced parent involvement. If you don't hold your end of the bargain as a student or parent, they can show you the door.

Is this a knock on private schooling? I don't see it that way, instead I wonder why public school doesn't do the same thing. Not everyone should go to school - period. This is a phenomena that has occurred only in the last century or less. Instead of forcing children to do what the government wants, why doesn't some entity come up with a real solution instead? In our public district, there's probably hundreds of schools and I only know of 1 public trade school. That simply doesn't make sense.

bigmike has some good points. However you have to understand that:

1) Private school don't cost $4k, at least not the typical ones everywhere. When I went 15 years ago they cost 5k for the cheaper ones, and now even if you want to pay full price at 20-40k a year you either have to have connections (attending mass, is a frequent charitable donor in fund raising events, alumni) or special talents (transfer recruit on scholarships, academic or athletic).

2) They don't accept everyone and the supply is always less than demand. Have you gotten detention because you haven't sold all of your fund raising raffle tickets? Have they ask you what religion are you in? Have they ask you to take an entrance exam? They are pretty much required and unless you are going to a private school that is worse than a public school, this is the norm.

3) The reason public school has to take "everyone" in the district is because it is an "unwritten" contract in your property tax. School district dominates the property value, and if the school district you're in only take the top 50% of the students, then your home is probably not going to worth as much, or more, depends on the neighborhood. People pay more or less what they want in the package that comes with the price they pay for the school.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Reading, writing, arithmetic, history, and science.... the real stuff that isn't being taught anymore.

Most teenagers can't make change or communicate with words more than 1 syllable. I love tossing in the extra few pennies at the register, and using full complete conversational sentences with the 'future'!

History? they make up there own.
Science? forgetaboutit

Well, they seem to be doing a good job at teaching the students how to beg. They'll need that skill in the future since they won't know how to do anything else.

+ 1000

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Kestas
That the standard of life was improving so greatly in our time, we could look forward to a 4-day workweek when we become adults.

or 20% unemployment rate

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
"Duck and cover" under a school desk in the event of a nuclear attack.

As I recall it was duck and cover in the event of a tornado.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

*for younger readers: filmstrips were a strip of 35mm film that projected still images and would be accompanied by a garbled sound monaural cassette tape. You had to change the image at the tone.

The more sophisticated filmstrip projectors that probably came out in the 80s automatically changed the image at the tone. I remember reading somewhere that there was a subaudible tone recorded on the cassette which triggered the projector to change--I do remember one that there were no audible tones at all, but the image still changed.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

Did anyone else have the experience of their class being rewarded by being able to view a special program on public television? This would be done by wheeling in a television on it's special "audio-video" stand...

Not only that, one of the schools I went to, instead of using the normal "F" connectors for the antenna connection at the wall jack, used a Motorola-style connection, exactly like what car radios use.

I thought that was odd; never saw anything like it before or since.

I'm seriously considering pulling my kids from the public school system after he told me about a "pubery pamphlet" his 5th grade. Boys only, lectured to by some guy.

The guy said to "shh, don't tell your siblings about this".

Don't have to worry about public school indoctrination of being taught what to think, not being taught how to think.

Just this past week, his teacher sent home a note that kids would be tutored in subjects that they need the extra help with. Great idea, right? Until you read the next paragraph which talks about the 'why': so that the state testing scores will be higher for the school.

Not for the kid, for the school.

So, what I learned in a small private grade school are lessons that hit me in the face this week when I'm 40yo: teach the kids and teach them how to think for themselves, don't teach them what to think/indoctrinate them.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
bigmike has some good points. However you have to understand that:

1) Private school don't cost $4k, at least not the typical ones everywhere. When I went 15 years ago they cost 5k for the cheaper ones, and now even if you want to pay full price at 20-40k a year you either have to have connections (attending mass, is a frequent charitable donor in fund raising events, alumni) or special talents (transfer recruit on scholarships, academic or athletic).

2) They don't accept everyone and the supply is always less than demand. Have you gotten detention because you haven't sold all of your fund raising raffle tickets? Have they ask you what religion are you in? Have they ask you to take an entrance exam? They are pretty much required and unless you are going to a private school that is worse than a public school, this is the norm.

3) The reason public school has to take "everyone" in the district is because it is an "unwritten" contract in your property tax. School district dominates the property value, and if the school district you're in only take the top 50% of the students, then your home is probably not going to worth as much, or more, depends on the neighborhood. People pay more or less what they want in the package that comes with the price they pay for the school.

Well, you're right in the point of cost. The cost differences between us are probably astronomical. I live in a low cost of living area and most of the people here are blue collar. I currently do IT work for a private school that charges less than 4k for the year. I know of several others in this range, but prices can vary greatly dependent upon the "prestige" viewed. Do I believe you get a better education in a more expensive school? That depends. I think there are qualified teachers and good curriculum at the one I work for but they may not have all the technological amenities that a school has that charges more to attend.

I know of several fund raisers that schools do, but never heard of punishment for not participating in them. I know for a fact that parents would not allow this. Entrance exams are done on occasion, but not mandatory at the school I work for. Some do mandatory testing. I don't see the problem with that. My point is, taxpayers are funding a school, irregardless if they gain any benefit from doing so. They may not have children or may opt to do some other form of education (home, private, etc.). Not only is this not fair and they do not get their money's worth, but they have very little say in how it is spent.

Another issue I have is public school, in my most honest opinion, has morphed into being nothing more than a glorified day-care with educational interest. There absolutely needs to be consequences to children not meeting certain standards. Private schools simply expel them or ask them not to return. It's been pointed out to me that this is not an option for public schools. I ask why not? Why isn't there an alternative for problematic attendees, other than dropping out, sending them home, or sending them to a "special" school? Why not a military school or trade school? When there are real consequences, things might change for the better, but until then it'll be business as usual and I'll wonder why my money goes to the school system.

Just for interest, I did go to public school for a few months in 1st grade. I knew how to read, write, etc. but the teacher complained that I was coloring outside the lines on coloring projects and that I was too competitive. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back