silly things you learned in grade school

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a junk tv on a steel cart that we used to watch science videos. The tv was made by a brand called Quaesar. One day it flashed and quit working so a few of us pretended were were star trek captains and hollered "FIRE THE QUAESAR!" in Captain Picard voices. Weeks of entertainment.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

Looking back, what were some things you learned in grades K-6 that you now know were absurd?

Spelling, grammar, and arithmetic aren't necessary in life. I regret learning those things.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1

Spelling, grammar, and arithmetic aren't necessary in life. I regret learning those things.

I can't tell if you are being facetious, but I will say that there was always the implication that the better you did in school, the better you would do in the adult workplace, which has turned out to be only loosely true.

Pizza is equivalent to someone making a salad with bacon and several spoonfuls of dressing then saying it's a healthy meal because it has veggies. The ratio of good to bad ingredients is poor in either case

But the whole point, is to use good ingredient and less of the bad stuff. Cut down on cheese, less salt in tomato sauce, vegetable or lean meats, and no oil in the pan (dry dough that won't grease your finger).

Best thing I remember about grade school food was the chicken pot pie that was served...and it was all made from scratch in the school cafeteria.

Actually, as well as I remember, all the food served in grade school was good. Milk..in the little carton....3 cents and lunch cost a quarter.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
We had a junk tv on a steel cart that we used to watch science videos. The tv was made by a brand called Quaesar. One day it flashed and quit working so a few of us pretended were were star trek captains and hollered "FIRE THE QUAESAR!" in Captain Picard voices. Weeks of entertainment.
laugh.gif

We had these odd GE 26" B&W TVs "for institutional use" on carts. And movies on film! Watched the Challenger disaster on that B&W tv and someone probably saw the moon landing on that very same tube. The back was that asbestos cardboard and may have come off if it took vacuum tubes.

Classroom was wired with some old school banana plugs to a roof antenna. Cable? Whats that?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Pizza is equivalent to someone making a salad with bacon and several spoonfuls of dressing then saying it's a healthy meal because it has veggies. The ratio of good to bad ingredients is poor in either case

But the whole point, is to use good ingredient and less of the bad stuff. Cut down on cheese, less salt in tomato sauce, vegetable or lean meats, and no oil in the pan (dry dough that won't grease your finger).

I use some oil in the pan so the bottom of the pizza browns nicer than if you went without. a splash of olive oil isn't going to hurt you.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
Speaking of school and pizza, I remember that rectangle pizza the cafeteria served was delicious

pic181-500x334.jpg

I remember...
lol167271.jpg

I remeber watching a LOT of educational programs on 35mm reel-to-reel projectors. The images aways shook on the screen, and the sound was always slightly off-speed.

When the film got to the end, the take up reel spun faster becasue the film wasn't going through, and the end of the filmstrip would be flying free and hitting the projector...'whap-whap-whap-whap-whap' until it got shut off.

'Useless' stuff I learned? How to do math by hand. We should have had an an idea how far computers would go in being able to do that for us on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
'Useless' stuff I learned? How to do math by hand.

Right, everyone should be able to do math in their head rather than relying on hand.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
'Useless' stuff I learned? How to do math by hand.

Right, everyone should be able to do math in their head rather than relying on hand.
LOL, I guess it depends on what level of math we're talking about. Basic arithmetic ought to be something you can do in your head. On the other hand I don't think it makes much sense to be able to do trig or logs from tables anymore.

I remeber watching a LOT of educational programs on 35mm reel-to-reel projectors. The images aways shook on the screen, and the sound was always slightly off-speed.

When the film got to the end, the take up reel spun faster becasue the film wasn't going through, and the end of the filmstrip would be flying free and hitting the projector...'whap-whap-whap-whap-whap' until it got shut off.

'Useless' stuff I learned? How to do math by hand. We should have had an an idea how far computers would go in being able to do that for us on a regular basis.

Probably you mean 16mm film? That's what we had. And remember how excited we used to get when we walked into a particular class and there was a projector set up? That meant that for at least 15 minutes or so, we wouldn't have to do anything but sit and watch! We were thrilled!

Originally Posted By: Footpounds

Probably you mean 16mm film? That's what we had. And remember how excited we used to get when we walked into a particular class and there was a projector set up? That meant that for at least 15 minutes or so, we wouldn't have to do anything but sit and watch! We were thrilled!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Reading, writing, arithmetic, history, and science.... the real stuff that isn't being taught anymore.

Most teenagers can't make change or communicate with words more than 1 syllable. I love tossing in the extra few pennies at the register, and using full complete conversational sentences with the 'future'!

History? they make up there own.
Science? forgetaboutit

Well, they seem to be doing a good job at teaching the students how to beg. They'll need that skill in the future since they won't know how to do anything else.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Reading, writing, arithmetic, history, and science.... the real stuff that isn't being taught anymore.

Most teenagers can't make change or communicate with words more than 1 syllable. I love tossing in the extra few pennies at the register, and using full complete conversational sentences with the 'future'!

33.gif

If my total is $3.96 and I give them $5.01, I have just created an unsolveable math equation. The "manager" has often been befuddled by this "extra change".

Counting back change is a lost art. It's so stupid because it's just counting.

One thing I remember clearly from Primary School will only ever work for me if I'm ever reincarnated as a Herring Gull.

If I want my parents to regurgitate semi-digested fish into my gullet, I have to peck at the red spot on their beak.

Also, Inuit children are quite fond of fish eyes, which should put me in good stead if I ever need to bribe an Inuit child.

I'm recalling them as 16mm, but I recall some sort of cartridge movie projector without overslung reels at some point too.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

History? they make up there own.
Science? forgetaboutit

I understand that there isn't much emphasis placed on spelling either.

My Grade 7 teacher telling me to go over speedbumps either "5 or 55[mph]" during a school trip to Westbank BC. One of the few things that stuck during 7yrs of elementary education.

My third grade teacher, a Camel smoking Southern belle, was all business. A Film strip was a treat. We learned to write cursive, spell and arithmetic. Once a week, we had a spelling bee. When you got shot down, you had to write the multiplication tables to 12x12. This was about 1960, so no duck and cover. But our principal was very concerned with fire drills because the school had a 3 story wing with stairwells at each end. He would pull an alarm and time the drills with a stop watch. He drilled us until he could empty the school in under a minute. One day, the furnace broke and it was a for real fire. We filed out just like we did for the drills. Most of my school career after grade 6 was baby sitting. What I learned in 3rd grade has served me well.

We practiced "Duck and Cover" only at the school that was on a military installation. The MPs also had a demonstration where they blew up a mannequin once a year to emphasize the importance of not picking up unexploded ordinance. Off post it was just fire drills and (when we moved back to Texas)tornado drills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back