silicone wiper blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know the old infomercial for triple-edge blades was goofy, but they were silicone and were the longest lasting blades i ever owned. anyone tried the new michelin, rain-x, or piaa silicone blades? i'm in texas and the heat/UV bakes regular blades so looking for something better. any feedback is appreciated

I have run rainx, can't recall which model though. I actually have had good success with the stock blades. Heading into 3rd winter with them in jersey. rainx x is about a 4 year blade also here in jersey.

Last edited:
I've had excellent luck with Rainx expert fit conventional--they last so long that I can't seem to remember how to install them, and find myself needing to read the instructions yet again. So I'm pretty happy with those. Given that Walmart sells them for under $10 apiece, Pepboys is selling the silicon rainx for $25-32 with/without promotional discount. I'm not sure how much longer these blades are, but would they last 3x longer than the expert fit conventional?

I've been using the PIAA blades for a few years. They last a long time, and you can replace the inserts instead of the entire blade. I'd get the standard blade - some of the models are too tall and don't fit well under the hood lip.

I have seen some silicone wiper blades over the years such as PIAA and some other(as you mentioned) infomercial brands.

I believe that Walmart also used to carry a brand of silicone wiper blades(Triple Blade or Triple Edge) or something to that effect. And JC Whitney Catalogs used to carry something similar.

Now I see that Advance Auto Parts(AAP) is carrying Rain-X AdvantEdge Silicone BEAM STYLE Wiper Blades but, I think they're ~ $40/ea. That's fine if they last forever. But, I'm happy with the Rain-X Latitude BEAM STYLE($5/ea) at close out stores such as OLLIE's & BIG LOTs.

The piaa blades were awesome in the summer and spring. The cold and ice chewed mine up.

I've looked into the Piaa wiper blades but I can't see spending $50 for a set, that is just crazy expensive.I get michelin wiper blades at costco for $4-5 when they are on sale and work just fine.

I use the Michelin wiper blades. They lasted me just about a year (put on a new set this past weekend). I'm up in Syracuse so the winter is harsh.

I thought about getting silicone blades but reviews are all over the place. Parking in the TX sun will bake any blades. In your position, I'd just use cheap blades and replace as needed.

I change wiper blades at least once a year. They had NAPA Curve blades for $3.99 when Ocean State Job Lot had a sale on everything. Have used the Costco blades when they are on sale. They used to be Goodyear, now they sell Michelin branded wipers.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
Originally Posted by Deontologist
Denso blades last multiple years for me.

who sells denso blades?
what does toyota use, what brand -denso?

Toyota OEM blades are NWB (Nippon Wiper Blade), but their dealerships sell Sightline which are chinese made.

And it looks like NWB merged with Asahi and both were owned by Denso anyway, so whatever then. https://www.denso.com/global/en/news/news-releases/2019/20190701-g01/

I'm meh on most aftermarket blades after having a Costco Goodyear fly off my windshield during a huge storm and Chinese-made Bosch blades dry rotting quickly. Although, I think the Costco blades do work fine on cars that use simple wiper arms or non-complex curved windshields.

I stick with OEM, Valeo or Trico. But now that most Toyota dealers don't like ordering wiper refills and push for the Chinese-made Sightline series I might have order my refills online or find a Honda that uses similar refills and order from them. I stocked up on Trico's Titan or whatever Walmart was blowing out for a friend's Subie. Subaru sells them as a service blade.

Put some Goodyear blades (Costco) on a CRV. Not impressed with them. They make an awful sound.

I switch both of my cars to RainX Advantedge Silicone blades. One blade failed within 1 month and the remaining three blades failed within 4 months. In comparison, Bosch Icons last me over two years on the same cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back