Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) Collapses

Status
Not open for further replies.
The depositors with less than 250K at risk will be fine: covered by FDIC. The big depositors (many of which are companies) are being saved by the US Treasury (you and me).

The SVB collapse has plenty of blame to go around. Plenty.
Execs who apparantly cannot read a balance sheet. Greed?
Internet frenzy that leads to $42B withdrawls crushing liquidity.
Raising rates that make long term assets less valuable requiring discounted sales.
Risky asset allocation putting bank into a position of weakness. Regulators asleep at the wheel?
Easing bank regulations that removed stress test and cash requirements. Regulators handcuffed?

This was preventable.

The SVB collapse has plenty of blame to go around. Plenty.
Internet frenzy that leads to $42B withdrawls crushing liquidity.
Raising rates that make long term assets less valuable requiring discounted sales.
Risky asset allocation putting bank into a position of weakness. Regulators asleep at the wheel?
Easing bank regulations that removed stress test and cash requirements. Regulators handcuffed?

This was preventable.
Pretty good synopsis.

Oh, they could read. 10 months ago there risk officer took a demotion. My guess is she walked in and said "all this trash you bought is going south, you better liquidate" and they said "the fed will pivot any minute, were good" - remember that narative.

So she said I aint going down with this ship and took a demotion, then left completely in October. Smart lady.

They knew full well almost a year ago. They just figured the fed had there back.

Accordingly, the Company and Ms. Izurieta entered into a separation (without cause) agreement pursuant to which she ceased serving in her role as Chief Risk Officer as of April 29, 2022 and moved into a non-executive role focused on certain transition-related duties until October 1, 2022.”

Oh, they could read. 10 months ago there risk officer took a demotion. My guess is she walked in and said "all this trash you bought is going south, you better liquidate" and they said "the fed will pivot any minute, were good" - remember that narative.

So she said I aint going down with this ship and took a demotion, then left completely in October. Smart lady.

They knew full well almost a year ago. They just figured the fed had there back.

Accordingly, the Company and Ms. Izurieta entered into a separation (without cause) agreement pursuant to which she ceased serving in her role as Chief Risk Officer as of April 29, 2022 and moved into a non-executive role focused on certain transition-related duties until October 1, 2022.”

My point is, there is plenty of blame to go around.

Regarding a C level abruptly leaving a Silicon Valley firm under questionable circumstances, welcome to Silicon Valley.
This is a brutal place; I love it here!

bank´s profit goes to their pockets.
bank´s loss goes to... hello dear taxpayers, how ya doin today ?? :LOL:
2008 the bailout was shouldered by the tax payers.
Banks will pay to make the SVB depositers whole.

How ya doin' today? If you ain't making money today you ain't in the game.

Its being reported that a whitelisted bank (one the fed has deemed able to acquire failed banks) was blocked by the FDIC from buying SIVB, and instead they wanted to let the taxpayer bail it out. I can't post it here - but you can find it pretty easily.

But not desirable.
Sure. But if you are looking for a perfect world, we ain't in it.
In business, it is not so much about the desirable things, rather it is how you manage the undesirable things.

I've dealt with some pretty powerful Silicon Valley execs. 20 years ago I asked our President, "What if I make a mistake?" regarding my corporate forecast application that drove and measured the multi billion dollar company. He looked down at me with those cold steel eyes and stated, "We will fix it and move forward."

In business, it is not so much about the desirable things, rather it is how you manage the undesirable things.

I've dealt with some pretty powerful Silicon Valley execs. 20 years ago I asked our President, "What if I make a mistake?" regarding my corporate forecast application that drove and measured the multi billion dollar company. He looked down at me with those cold steel eyes and stated, "We will fix it and move forward."
Then let silicon valley bail out there own bank, since the rest of us ignorant hicks are of no value to them.

I should’ve been more clear, from my point of view the prevention was not desirable.

Hence now we focus on who to blame. Like you said, lots of blame to go around.

But there is hardly any thought that perhaps that was exactly the outcome desired. Milking the system and then looking for a bailout. It’s quite a common theme.

Of course now we are delving into conspiracy theory realms, an we all know it’s crazy talk. No one would orchestrate these type of failures on purpose.

I should’ve been more clear, from my point of view the prevention was not desirable.

Hence now we focus on who to blame. Like you said, lots of blame to go around.

But there is hardly any thought that perhaps that was exactly the outcome desired. Milking the system and then looking for a bailout. It’s quite a common theme.

Of course now we are delving into conspiracy theory realms, an we all know it’s crazy talk. No one would orchestrate these type of failures on purpose.
I guess I don't follow. Why is prevention not desirable? Ya got me there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back