Silica Gel - rust prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.
My home is around 46% humidity all year round and my rifles sit in a normal gunsafe w/ a few large desi-paks tossed in the bottom. I have never had any rust form on any weapon. All I use is MPro7 cleaner and lube. Those that have not been shot and cleaned recently are removed once a year (on my birthday) and given a good cleaning/lub.

I dont like the idea of soft gun cases or plastic bags and I dont use WD-40 on anything but old gate hinges. Gun specific cleaners and lubes dont cost that much and they are gun-specific for a reason. I dont know why everone wants to use a catch-all lube on expensive firearms.

We weren't talking about a catch-all Lube, but a rust prentative for storage purposes.
Camu has pointed me the way toward something better to use than WD-40. Its expensive but excellent in rust prevention and its also an EP lubricant. Its called "Slip 2000 EWL." Quite possibly the best gun oil ever made.
For storage and rust prevention it has the advantage over WD-40 in that you don't have to leave a heavy film in place that will collect dust. And since its a supreme lubricant all you'd have to do is check and re-lube when its time to go shooting. With WD-40 you should wipe it down/remove it and lubricate with a good lubricant.
This Slip 2000 does it all. I stand corrected.

But WD-40 remains a cheap, available and excellent STORAGE oil to prevent rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back