Signposts on the Road to GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Again government mandated fuel economy and emissions requirements trump oil performance.Tom NJ

Yep, it's the Carter years all over again...

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
This is why I run Amsoil, IMO they could care less about meeting API certifications and care more about engine durability and long life change intervals.

Not entirely true. Amsoil's older formulations used to be more shear stable (ASL/ATM/SSO/AFL) In order to improve fuel efficiency they all took a hit in HT/HS and are on par with most other brands now. "Energy conserving".

Amsoil (and a lot of PAO/ester oils) seem to hold up better in turbo Subaru's than Energy Conserving oils. I guess the add pack, and not just the HTHS, helps in this case.
cheers3.gif

The UOA section has quite a few turbo subie uoa's with high wear on EC oils. That's probably why so many are switching to HDEO 5W-40's (plus HDEO's don't disappear every 2,000 miles).

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Again government mandated fuel economy and emissions requirements trump oil performance.Tom NJ

Yep, it's the Carter years all over again...

Actually, if we had listened to Carter, we'd be refining synthetic gas out of our coal. Although that is actually much worse for the environment...but South Africa pays about $25 a barrel for syn-gas...

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Johnny
The government should stick to building roads and let the oil companies and automobile manufactures design the lubricants.

+1

May have to spike GF-5 oils with some Redline.

I noticed they did not mention where the tradeoffs will occur though specifically. I would hope that engine wear requirements would remain the same from GF-4 to GF-5.

Quote:
“OEMs want fuel economy first and foremost, plus emissions system protection, oil robustness, turbo coking protection, cam phaser protection and general engine protection,” he continued. But the future of engine oil specs is gaining complexity.

I read this thread early this morning right after Tom had posted. I didn't have time to reply, but will say that Buster took the words right out of my mouth!!

I'm hoping that the oils become better but don't have a warm fuzzy feeling just yet. I will use Redline Break In add, and tweak the oil if need be.

This just makes oils like Amsoil and Redline look better all the time.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back