Significant drop in MPG with AC on. Normal or something wrong?

1.8 engine? My wife's 2010 non-GT would average about 22 with almost all city driving in the summer.

If this is a 1.8, do check the belt. Ours didn't have a tensioner--it was tightened the old school way at the alternator bracket.
It's a 2.4. It doesn't get great gas mileage to begin with. It's rated 21 MPG City from the from the factory. I've been getting close to 24 with nothing on, in nice weather. Also, it has a spring-loaded automatic tensioner.

I can imagine there being more mpg loss in city driving with AC.
The AC needs 1-2 hp or so, regardless of whether the car is moving or not.
Cruising on a flat highway the engine might be delivering a steady 15-20 hp to the transmission, so the AC is a 5-10% bite.
Low speed city driving will use a lower average hp to move the car, so the AC power is a bigger percentage.
Plus, there's the increased fuel flow to maintain idle speed.

I can imagine there being more mpg loss in city driving with AC.
The AC needs 1-2 hp or so, regardless of whether the car is moving or not.
Cruising on a flat highway the engine might be delivering a steady 15-20 hp to the transmission, so the AC is a 5-10% bite.
Low speed city driving will use a lower average hp to move the car, so the AC power is a bigger percentage.
Plus, there's the increased fuel flow to maintain idle speed.
Makes sense. I can feel it, though. I really have to lean on the gas to maintain the same acceleration/speed sometimes. RPMs are higher on average.

I have had some 4-cyl cars in the past that had a noticeable power drop when the AC was in use. I never bothered to try and determine the impact to fuel economy, but I am sure it would have been noticeable. For something like my Ram 2500, the AC does not seem to have an impact at all.

If the AC is blowing cold and the engine seems to run well I would just run it and see how it does over the next few tanks.
If you drive slow enough that aerodynamics aren't a factor, like in a big city, you could notice AC requiring more fuel. When you drive faster, like ex-urban it's often lost in the noise, except for economical vehicles. I never run without AC so I can't compare and fret about it.

My car will choose a lower gear at cruise to keep the rpms a smidge higher (8 spd trans) while the compressor is engaged. AC easily gives the Lexus a 2 mpg hit, and significantly more if I idle it. my volvos and f150 are reasonably thrifty at idle; the Lexus is not. 3.5L v6.

ps- AC can require 5-7HP iirc. The 1-2 figure above is a little short. The chrysler minivans for instance carry enough tonnage to cool an 1800 sq ft house.

Low side pressure is 38 psi, 90 degrees outside. Does that seem high, low, about right?

It is absolutely the air conditioner that is killing my gas mileage. I get a 5-6 mpg reduction when running the AC. 24-25 mpg-AC off, 18-19 mpg-AC on. Any ideas?

Also keep in mind, city driving is going to consume more energy than highway driving with the AC on for a few reasons I will spell out.

1) Cooling fans, in the city cooling fans will be running all the time. Cooling fans will be putting additional load on the alternator, as alternators get hot (because of cooling fans) they are even less efficient needing more power from engine.

2) Hot under hood temps. As intake air gets hotter, the pcm will pull a couple degrees of timing advance out of engine to prevent detonation, in extreme temps the pcm may even richen the mixture, all of which decreases efficiency

3) High condenser (high side) pressures. When its hot with inadequate airflow through the condenser your high side pressures will be higher, thus requiring more power to spin the compressor.

This all requires more power of the engine and you as a driver will press the accelerator further just to accelerate at the same rate you are use to.

The mileage you are seeing for a 4 cylinder vehicle in city driving seems reasonable. It takes a lot of power when its hot to get cool air, can't short circuit physics.

Sound like small fuel injector leak?
The negative trim indicates that the injectors are consistently adding too much fuel, as measured by the o2 sensors. there are many reasons this can happen, the a/c specific issue indicates that the compressor is loading the engine. again many causes

Back