Sidewall leaks/damages can't be repaired? --- WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a tire shop to have my leaky tires fixed---the leak was determined to come from the sidewall, the technician saids it can't be repaired and I think he's right because I remember reading somewhere that if the damage is on the sidewall, the tire has to be replaced: But i asked him to repair it anyway and so far it seems fine.

What do I need to worry about?

A repair on a sidewall has a high risk of opening back up again because the sidewall flexes so much... 800-900 times per mile.

Plus, a damage to sidewall often means the structural integrity of the tire (cords) has been compromised.

same answer: sidewall flex. actually, not only on the sidewall but also on the main tread within about 1 inch of the sidewall.

They actually DO make sidewall patches though. You don't see them used very often, but they do exist. I've used them before. But in general a normal radial patch will not hold on a sidewall. Also, once you compromise the sidewall structure you are opening the door for tire failure if you continue to drive on it.

Years ago when I was working at my dads shop, if the hole was small enough (i.e. not slashed or cut up), then we would clean the area around the hole inside the tire with a little buffer wheel (you had to be gentle), put on a patch, and install an inner tube.

This was only on basic passenger car/light truck tires (not ones with H, V, or Z rating). I don't think thats done anymore..

oh gee, that makes a lot of sense!

though, i may be luckier than some--in that I have Goodyear triple-tred tires: THICK SIDEWALLS and I keep a lot of air pressure in them (less sidewall flexing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back