Should turbos be avoided for longevity?

When we lived in NZ for a year (20 years ago) a friend had a turbocharged diesel Mitsubishi van.
The engine would continue to run for 60 to 90 seconds after being turned off, to allow coolant and oil to continue to circulate while the turbo spooled down.

I bought a new 2014 Focus SE and had to look around to find a 5 speed M/T. It's only got 71K because my driving dropped after retiring in 2016. It's been extremely reliable and trouble free and still even has the original brake pads. Ford should have dropped the DCT and went with the 6F35 as soon as the issues showed themselves because it appears the DCT was basically unfixable due to its design (many had to be fixed numerous times),
Ford lost a lot of future customers by refusing to admit failure of the DCT and moving on.....would you buy another Ford after the Focus DCT broke your heart?

I was a loyal Ford buyer until the Focus/DCT fiasco. Never again.

I have been car shopping and it seems most all cars have turbos on them now days should any car be avoided with one if you want longevity? I keep my cars until i hit 300,000 to 400,000 miles as i drive a lot.

For most people the turbos probably don't affect as most people don't keep there cars long enough to have it die but i do. My buddy says that little 1.5L gas engines with a turbo will never last 300k-400k as it's a small motor with added stress from the turbo and naturally aspirated engine is the way to go for longevity and no repair bills.

Is he right or full of it?
yes avoid

Back