Should this timing belt be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came out of my Brother's '97 Corolla (1.6L). The belt was replaced not too long ago and wasn't near the recommended replacement mileage. The car itself has over 300K miles on it. Original engine....never been opened up.

timingbelt.jpg

Seized belt tensioner. The belt was completely melted.

Originally Posted By: tig1
This may have been caused by the high iron in M1.

+1

Sadly this happened to my 95 Neon. The bearing on the timing belt tensioner pulley seized when the engine was turning at about 4k rpm. The car had 150k on it at the time, and every valve in the head was bent. I didn't even have that much of the belt left!

I pulled the head and had a local machine shop rebuild it, drove it for another 40k miles and sold it for $800.

With the Japanese,the valves bend if the timing belt breaks.An used engine goes for at least $1,500.00 if you can find one.I know a wrecking that gets calls for the Corrolla engines and wished he had a lot of of them.The Corolla engines are not good engines

This engine has had a few belt replacements in its life.

Tensioner was replaced with the belt.

No damage to the engine. Tensioner and belt failed at freeway speeds.

This particular 1.6L engine is a non-interference engine. Replaced the tensioner and belt. Good to go.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
With the Japanese,the valves bend if the timing belt breaks.An used engine goes for at least $1,500.00 if you can find one.

No.

Quote:
I know a wrecking that gets calls for the Corrolla engines and wished he had a lot of of them.The Corolla engines are not good engines

They are not the best in performance but are pretty good in fuel economy and build quality if not abused.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Auto rx could have prevented the belt from melting.
12.gif

ARX still can save this belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back