serpentine belt replacement, which brand?

I have a 2004 Ford Sport Trac. I am up to 108,000 miles, 16 years on my serpentine belt and it is showing cracks. Original belt that is. What brand should I go with? Replace idler and tensioner pulley too? I know it happened to my dad twice that he replaced his belt and eventually a pulley seized.

Just got my new BANDO in the mail today for Acura in signature. Mechanic buddy of mine said, dont replace tensioner if not needed -- most times its just the belt. So that is what my feedback is.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Just got my new BANDO in the mail today for Acura in signature. Mechanic buddy of mine said, dont replace tensioner if not needed -- most times its just the belt. So that is what my feedback is.
. I have read that the tensioner can last a long time, but the bearings in the pulleys is what gets a beating. It would be cheaper if I could just replace the pulley on the tensioner, but little more work.

As for brand of belts, I typically go with Gates since they make OEM belts in a lot of instances.

As for tensioner, I am of the replace it mindset. Namely due to age in your instance. As for which brand of tensioner, OEM. While you have an Explorer, I have an '03 Focus (same manufacturer and year range) and had problems out of non-OEM tensioners (rattling noise from brand new aftermarket tensioners) when I replaced it. I ended up going back with a new OEM tensioner and problem was solved. No more rattling. I don't know if it would be a similar experience for you with an aftermarket tensioner, but I'm making mention of it just as a heads up.

As for idler pulley, no real recommendation on brands other than use a good one. I used a Gates idler pulley for my '03 Focus. No problems yet and it's been about 6-7 years now.

Originally Posted by NH73
. I have read that the tensioner can last a long time, but the bearings in the pulleys is what gets a beating. It would be cheaper if I could just replace the pulley on the tensioner, but little more work.

You can probably just change the bearing in the pulley on the tensioner. A common one is the 6203, which you can get by the numbers off the old one or by measuring key dimensions.

Though the spring wears out, too, or gets "gritty".

Originally Posted by NH73

Just carefully pop the seal and refill bearings about 1/4 full with Mobil1 or electric motor ball bearing grease (Polyrex EM)

Originally Posted by meadows
Everything on my excursion is stock at 200,000 miles. Should I consider changing some of the stuff since it's 20 years old?

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I bought a Gates kit last year for my 2006 Mustang Gt. It had 90k on it. Kit included belt, tensioner and both idler pulleys. Was less than $100 on RA and I've put 10k on it with no issues.

Originally Posted by meadows
Everything on my excursion is stock at 200,000 miles. Should I consider changing some of the stuff since it's 20 years old?
Belt original? Wow. I was surprised mine lasted this long before cracks start showing up. If that is the case, I done what you done too.

Originally Posted by qdeezie
As for brand of belts, I typically go with Gates since they make OEM belts in a lot of instances.

As for tensioner, I am of the replace it mindset. Namely due to age in your instance. As for which brand of tensioner, OEM. While you have an Explorer, I have an '03 Focus (same manufacturer and year range) and had problems out of non-OEM tensioners (rattling noise from brand new aftermarket tensioners) when I replaced it. I ended up going back with a new OEM tensioner and problem was solved. No more rattling. I don't know if it would be a similar experience for you with an aftermarket tensioner, but I'm making mention of it just as a heads up.

As for idler pulley, no real recommendation on brands other than use a good one. I used a Gates idler pulley for my '03 Focus. No problems yet and it's been about 6-7 years now.
What brand tensioner did you use? Gates?

Back