Should l Replace Tensioner w/Timing Belt ?

The camshaft seals is only around $20 each.

Why do you skip that while at it? I know it is probably just been replaced.
If that part leaks, it will shorten the life of the belt.
Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
The camshaft seals is only around $20 each.

Why do you skip that while at it? I know it is probably just been replaced.
If that part leaks, it will shorten the life of the belt.
Ask me how I know.

Just replaced them both about 20K ago.

I am a person who does only timing belt/tensioner first go around (100k) and ignores the water pump and other bits. I have no been burned yet and drive past/ignoring the 200k timing belt changes before getting rid of vehicles around 230k.

The one time I asked for timing belt change without being specific mechanic did a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon (2.5L WRX motor) for $300 in 1.5hrs. I had to come back because of some chirping which turned out to be the tensioner failing a week latter. Thankfully only charged parts + 1hr labor($60) to install the tensioner and some pulleys on round 2. He felt bad.

Originally Posted by Gebo
176k. Camshaft seals and valve covers replaced at 148k.

What got me confused is PM and service Tech at Lexus says they virtually never replace tensioner when doing a timing belt/water pump change.

This is true. The hydraulic tensioners are generally quite reliable on Toyota vehicles and at the dealer level, it is rarely replaced during a timing belt service.

Honda timing belt tensioners (the skinny ones on the newer J-series) tend to leak so those get replaced each time.

My Volvos specify the timing belt at 90,000. The water pump is driven by the timing belt.

In general, for those cars, timing set (belt, tensioner, idler) at the first change, timing set + water pump at the second. Water pumps are usually good to about 200,000, so, do them at 180,000 when you're in there doing the timing belt...

For those cars, the tensioner is usually what fails. A 90,000 mile timing belt looks great, but will quickly be destroyed if the tensioner fails.

For my Toyota V-6, I always did the entire set. The 3.0 3VZE engine used the water outlet on the manifold as one of the idlers. A complete pain to change that one, the FSM required removal of the intake manifold, in itself a 3 hour job, to get the water outlet changed. I bent a 12mm box wrench to go around the intake. Slow, but a whole lot easier, and fewer parts, than removing the intake.

I hadn't heard that Toyota tensioners were so reliable, but even hearing that, I am happier having done it as a set.

It was a lot of work, and parts aren't that expensive when compared with labor, even my labor. When you balance that with the damage done by failure, I prefer to do the timing set.

Last edited:
Yes, you need a new tensioner. It is included in the Aisin kit
smile.gif

I didn't read the whole thread but IMO always change whatever you can get at when you are in there within reason, the tensioner for sure.

I tried to change the belt on my 02 Camry a couple years ago, only because it's chirping a lot when cold. I about killed myself trying to get the old tensioner to open up wide enough to get the new belt on and broke a 19mm socket too. Gave up and put the noisy belt back on, and will replace the tensioner at some point. 240kmi on a great Camry I paid $800 for, so it is just a minor annoyance for now.

Originally Posted by Traction
I tried to change the belt on my 02 Camry a couple years ago, only because it's chirping a lot when cold. I about killed myself trying to get the old tensioner to open up wide enough to get the new belt on and broke a 19mm socket too. Gave up and put the noisy belt back on, and will replace the tensioner at some point. 240kmi on a great Camry I paid $800 for, so it is just a minor annoyance for now.

That's a different tensioner. OP is referring to a timing belt tensioner, which on the 3.0 V6 is hydraulic . Yours must be a 2.4L with the hydraulic serpentine belt tensioner.

Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by Traction

That's a different tensioner. OP is referring to a timing belt tensioner, which on the 3.0 V6 is hydraulic . Yours must be a 2.4L with the hydraulic serpentine belt tensioner.

Oops, you are right. I was just thinking of the wrong other nightmare belt.

What got me confused is PM and service Tech at Lexus says they virtually never replace tensioner when doing a timing belt/water pump change.

That seems to be the case with dealer service for any make/model. They'll only replace the tensioner, idlers, seals, etc.. if they show signs they need to be replaced. Other than that, they'll just change the belt.

How long ago was 148K miles? It's a shame they did the cam seals and not the T-belt at that time given the belt had to come off for that job.

Gonna do the crank seal this time as Toyota recommended it at 120k.

Link?
I've never heard of crankshaft or camshaft seals as PM before.

They probably recommended it when they were doing a service when the engine was torn down that far. Its not a maintenance schedule item.

Originally Posted by JTK

That seems to be the case with dealer service for any make/model. They'll only replace the tensioner, idlers, seals, etc.. if they show signs they need to be replaced. Other than that, they'll just change the belt.

How long ago was 148K miles? It's a shame they did the cam seals and not the T-belt at that time given the belt had to come off for that job.

It's complicated. Not my car. My money. Cam seals making a mess.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Gonna do the crank seal this time as Toyota recommended it at 120k.

Link?
I've never heard of crankshaft or camshaft seals as PM before.

Just saw an old Toyota report saying to replace crank seal a while back. Gonna have seal just in case we need it.

Originally Posted by mattd
They probably recommended it when they were doing a service when the engine was torn down that far. Its not a maintenance schedule item.

You are 100% correct. See previous reply.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
An Aisin kit will come with a OE "Made in Japan" NTN Tensioner. Along with Koyo Idlers & a Mitsuboshi Belt.

Clinebarger, you are correct.

I'm getting all my parts from Lexus dealer. I can't do the Aisin kit. Owner needs this Camry to last 8-10 more years.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
An Aisin kit will come with a OE "Made in Japan" NTN Tensioner. Along with Koyo Idlers & a Mitsuboshi Belt.

Clinebarger, you are correct.

I'm getting all my parts from Lexus dealer. I can't do the Aisin kit. Owner needs this Camry to last 8-10 more years.

I'm not one to shy people away genuine OE, If YOU feel more comfortable...Go for it! But what makes you think an (TKT-026) Aisin kit won't last for this particular car? Putting the same parts in a Toyota/Lexus box doesn't magically make them last longer.

Back