Should l Replace Tensioner w/Timing Belt ?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by clinebarger
An Aisin kit will come with a OE "Made in Japan" NTN Tensioner. Along with Koyo Idlers & a Mitsuboshi Belt.

Clinebarger, you are correct.

I'm getting all my parts from Lexus dealer. I can't do the Aisin kit. Owner needs this Camry to last 8-10 more years.

I'm not one to shy people away genuine OE, If YOU feel more comfortable...Go for it! But what makes you think an (TKT-026) Aisin kit won't last for this particular car? Putting the same parts in a Toyota/Lexus box doesn't magically make them last longer.

Well, it I knew it were genuine Aisin, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I purchased an "Aisin" rear wheel bearing for my LS430 from Amazon. Saved $100 over the Aisin bearing I would buy from dealer. No brainer.

My Lexus Certified mechanic installed the bearing and it failed almost immediately. In the process of removing the "Amazon" bearing and replacing it with a "Lexus" bearing he told me the "Amazon" bearing was fake. I returned the bad one to Amazon and got a full refund. This was that "straw" for me.

And I know some of you may try and get me on the witness stand for interrogation but I ain't going there. I am just trying to answer your question as best I can.
19.gif

We all have our reasons for using a certain oil, oil filter, coolant, brand of tire, etc.

I don't know if you read in one of my posts where my Lexus Parts Mgr confided in me how he has been approached by people with huge quantities of "Lexus/Toyota" branded parts that want to sell them to him. He said he would save over 50% buying what appears to be OEM parts. He said they are packaged such that you would never tell the difference. I believe him. He said he has always turned them down. I believe him. Sorta scary when you think about it.

Am I paranoid? Well, maybe slightly. Am I the sharpest pencil in the box? Not by any stretch. Do I have a certain degree of hardheadedness. Yes. Am I financially wealthy? No. Am I faithful to those I do business with? Yes.

Amazon is getting bad as E-Bay for counterfeit parts.....I get my Aisin TB kits through Summit Racing, And a lot of other parts when I'm concerned about fakes.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Getting ready to do a timing belt/water pump change on a '99 Camry V6 due to age. Last belt was done in 2010.

What is your opinion as to whether to replace tensioner? I'm getting conflicting info. This car belongs to someone else
and they are instructing me to do whatever I think is best. My understanding is it is not normally replaced with the timing
belt.

It only cost $62 OEM from Dealer.

Purchase a complete kit .

Back