Should I switch to 5w30 for the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman, 0wXX are not easy to find up here. Many still use a conventional oil with a oil pan and block heater. I use the heaters when the temps. get down to 0 F.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I didn't realize you could get 0w30 Mobil 1 out your way, since we don't have it anywhere in Ontario that I've seen.

Patman, just yesterday I saw one 1L bottle of M1 0w30 SS at my local Esso station. It was kinda weird, because it was the only one on the shelf among about 15 bottles of 5w and 10w. 0w has a white lid, 5w has a blue lid and I think the 10w was green. I didn't ask any questions, but it's good to see it does exist here.

For winter if I don't do a full 0w30 oil change, I'll probably at least mix it with some 5w.

[ October 03, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Mobil2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
So the next question becomes....what comes after/below a 0W?

It's funny you should mention that, as I was thinking the same thing myself last week!! I bet you when API SM comes out, they'll simply make the 0w requirements tougher to pass, so that some of the current oils that qualify for 0w status right now would end up being labelled 5w instead. I believe when API SL came out it became tougher to pass 0w and 5w status compared to API SJ.

Newman! My local Esso station doesn't have this on the shelf anymore. Where can I find M1 0w30 in Ontario now?!?

NOCO should have the 0w30, 0w20 and everything else. The only difficulty is figuring out how to get to the darn place.

2 Bradpenn Road
Toronto, Ontario
(800) 414-NOCO

I piked up a case of 0w20, to mix up some "0w25" for the winter.

Wal Mart has 0w30 in their house brand, as well as the green Syntec. Canadian Tire sells a 0w-30 blend for about $4/L.

It only makes sense to use a 5W-30 (or even a 0W-30) in the wintertime. You should have less engine wear and be able to start your vehicle easier. The only time I would not use a 5W-30 or 0W-30 in the wintertime would be if a vehicle owner's manual absolutely demanded that a thicker oil be used year-round. Or, in the case of an older vehicle with a worn engine, you might need to use a 10W-30 in the wintertime.

If it gets too cold where you live, you should consider a synthetic like Mobil 1, at least for the wintertime. There is no getting around the fact that a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 will flow better in the cold.

I don't get why "thin " M1 is such as issue? The 0w30 starts great in the winter and it actually protects at operating temp close to some 40wt oils.

quote:

posted September 18, 2003 04:58 AM

Originally posted by pepper32:
I use Mobil1 5w30 in the winter, works for me.

I figured everyone in Alaska would use a 0w20 or 0w30 oil.

After reading about 6 months of postings on this site I'm beginning to think that Alaska isn't as cold as most people think. Although I have no statistical evidence to prove this, I bet Winnipeg is colder than the southern half of Alaska during most winter months. The coast and southern inland of Alaska seem to benefit from a lot of warm southern Pacific air. Winnipeg gets frigid blasts from Hudson's Bay. We in Alberta get our cold from the central arctic which has resulted in me experiencing -41?C in Calgary, Alberta. Meanwhile, Whitehorse in the Yukon can be 10?C warmer with it's Pacific air brought up with the jet stream.

Heck maybe 15W50 would be a good choice in Alaska?
wink.gif
patriot.gif

We just got snow YEAH!!! I love snow I couldn't wait
smile.gif
But way to dig up an old post in the time I posted this and now I got seperated(process of being divorced) and no longer have the van
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back