Should I or shouldn't I...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh, here we are again. We are going on a 1,100 mile trip in the equinox in a few days for thanksgiving. I changed out the FF in the 3.0L DI V6 at about 1,500 miles. We currently have 3,700 on the car, so a little over 2,000 miles on the current fill of QSUD 5W-30 with a PureONE filter. My mom does mostly short trips, 3 miles to/from work, the occasional jaunt across town, and occasional 60 mile highway trip to go to olive garden or outback. The first 500 miles of this OCI were pure highway to/from Niagara Falls. The OLM is currently sitting at 48% with just over 2,000 miles on the fill.

I just saw a pretty horrible UOA for a Terrain, but no idea whether it was the 2.4L I-4 or 3.0L V6. Granted, that UOA had a 12k mile OCI on it.

Anyway, not meaning to ramble, I'm seriously debating whether I should change it out before this trip. I'm thinking I won't, but I want a second opinion.

With 2k on that oil i wouldnt worry a bit. That UOA you saw may have looked bad, but remeber UOA's are for establishing YOUR personal vehicles oci, and do not always represent actual wear.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I find your dilemma highly amusing. Just follow the OLM.

Probably not a good idea on a DI GM engine.

DI engines seem to have higher fuel dilution. I'm going with 5000 mile oil changes on the wife's Equinox 3.0 unless the fuel numbers improve significantly on the UOA.

2k on QSUD with P1, 48% on OLM and taking a road trip. Other than just wanting to, no reason to dump the sump. Answer, shouldn't.

Have a good trip.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I find your dilemma highly amusing. Just follow the OLM.

Probably not a good idea on a DI GM engine.

+1

Yeah I'd leave it too, as you know this trip will be the easiest service the engine and oil will see. If it were 1100 miles of 5miles per trip stop and go perhaps I might change it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Don't even think of changing it - enjoy your trip!!!

+1!! be safe! and Happy Thanksgiving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back