Good oil for annual mileage of 6-7k in Vulcan V6

I've thought about the Super Tech full synthetic high mileage. I'd be going a max of 7500 miles a year and that's probably pushing it a bit.

So you'd stick to 5w20 vs 5w30 in the Vulcan V6 for year round usage? I'm assuming because of the frequent short trips?

Note: Just rolled over to 150k on the clock. I've had the car for almost a year, and I'm not aware of any oil leaks.

WM Super Tech full synthetic is GOOD oil & will serve you well.

I've been using the OEM Motorcraft FL-400S filter. Would that hold up well enough for 7k/1 year, or would I be better off getting something like the M1 EP 20k mile filters?U

I've been using the OEM Motorcraft FL-400S filter. Would that hold up well enough for 7k/1 year, or would I be better off getting something like the M1 EP 20k mile filters?
I'm not familiar with the motorcraft filter. I think any good quality filter would work. I watch for sales and stay a couple of filters in reserve.

I've been using the OEM Motorcraft FL-400S filter. Would that hold up well enough for 7k/1 year, or would I be better off getting something like the M1 EP 20k mile filters?

FL-400S (and FL-500S) seem to be relatively immune to the issues other MC filters have exhibited, FL-400S is what is on my Vulcan right now.

I would not buy the new M1 filters for the money they want for them. If you want a premium filters the XG3600 is what you want, though it is overkill for 7000 miles.

I'm new here so my opinion may not hold much weight, but I think the Fram XG3600 would be a better choice for annual changes. It's a few bucks more (which over 1 year is nothing), a little higher quality (not that the FL-400S is anything but solid), and you get the grippy stuff on the end to make life a little easier on oil change day.

I agree with Supertech Full Synth High Mileage 5W-20.

DO NOT over think this, Super Tech HM Full Synthetic 5W20 paired with your Motorcraft FL-400S or even a Super Tech Oil Filter that are rated for 10,000 miles now and American Made will serve you well annually for the mileage you mentioned and driving habits.

Thanks a million for all of the excellent input everyone! I suppose I'll flip a coin on a full synthetic high mileage oil, and most likely continue using the Motorcraft filter since I already have a couple of them stashed away. Walmart sells out of the FL-400S fast around here for some reason so I've grabbed a couple extra.

Yup, oil doesn't really matter on this engine.
Only problem that it's known to consume oil at high mileage, although that's not something I've found switching brands or even a high mileage oil does anything to help. Also known for timing cover leaks (between the oil and coolant) as well as the camshaft position sensor developing wear. Once again not something that switching oils may improve, although I do take off the camshaft sensor cap and dribble some oil down there to lube the bushings on every oil change.

Yup, oil doesn't really matter on this engine.
Only problem that it's known to consume oil at high mileage, although that's not something I've found switching brands or even a high mileage oil does anything to help. Also known for timing cover leaks (between the oil and coolant) as well as the camshaft position sensor developing wear. Once again not something that switching oils may improve, although I do take off the camshaft sensor cap and dribble some oil down there to lube the bushings on every oil change.
I had to get the cam sync & sensor replaced less than a month ago. I had a chirp under the hood that sounded exactly like a belt but I couldn't pinpoint it to the belts/pulleys... a few google searches later, and I knew what it had to be. No more chirps!

I've read about the timing cover leaks too, but from what I have seen those are coolant leaks on the outside, not mixing with the oil, right? :oops: Note: I'm far from a mechanic.

I had to get the cam sync & sensor replaced less than a month ago. I had a chirp under the hood that sounded exactly like a belt but I couldn't pinpoint it to the belts/pulleys... a few google searches later, and I knew what it had to be. No more chirps!

I've read about the timing cover leaks too, but from what I have seen those are coolant leaks on the outside, not mixing with the oil, right? :oops: Note: I'm far from a mechanic.
Good thing you caught that early, could've ended badly. What I've done is drilled a small hole in my camshaft sensor plastic cover then put a small rubber plug on it. So every oil change I can easily pop the plug and empty a full syringe full of oil down there to lube the bushings (which is what usually goes bad). 250,000 km on the engine and the positioner is still tight.

The timing cover leak usually results in coolant leaking outwards. But the gasket between the oil and coolant side is so thin that it could also result in coolant getting in the oil or vice versa. Pretty hard to pinpoint, but if you see seepage it's a good idea to replace it as preventative maintenance.

Since the engine was originally spec'd for 5w30 and I've got one that burns a bit of oil indicating something wore out before it was supposed to, I'd use a thick 20 or a thin 30.

An example of a thick 20 is M1 HM 0W20. It's thicker than most 5W20's when hot.

A thin 30 is Valvoline Full Syn Adv or any Pennzoil synthetic.

I have a taurus with vulcan engine. When I did my last oil change I saw a small sepage below the oil drain plug. But no oil marks on the floor where i usually park so probably the oil leak is from oil pan gasket. No time to drop the oil pan and it doesn't burn oil in between changes. But I put mobil1 HM 5w30 full synthetic in the hopes to slow down the leak. It is my daily and I just squeezing all the life left with this car. I can still drive if for long distances and it is a very comfortable car.

Any quality oil with similar ratings will be almost the same. The M/C filter will be fine the length of the oil change.

Back