Another should I change????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I planning a camping trip next week with my 1500 lb when fully loaded pop up towing it with my truck in my signature. In march I changed the oil with castrol edge black bottle 5w30 and a fram ultra. By the time I leave I'll have 4500 miles on the fill. I'm heading from detroit to st.ignace which is approx. 600 miles round trip with another 200 miles driving around unloaded. My current driving style is 18 miles of 90% highway to and from work with 1-2 25 mile highway runs every month to see family, so I'd say I'm at least 75% highway mileage. So my question is should I change now or after the trip? I currently have more castrol edge black bottle and a fram tg on deck, and plan on possibly towing at 60mph with the overdrive off which is 2500 rpm. Normally at 70 in overdrive unloaded I'm at 2250 rpm.

No oil life monitor I'm mostly concerned with the 3 timing chain shearing the oil. I know the engine has got to be clean inside because the previous owner changed oil every 2000 miles until I bought it at 8000 miles. I changed it twice before this fill at 3000 once to be safe after a defective thermostat that caused the temp gauge to drop alittle on highway exits and the other because of purolater paranoia. Which btw was not torn but was very close to tearing and with light finger pressure did and it didn't use the metal crimp. I cremated it immediately after it's autopsy.

If you will sleep better and can afford it you can just ignore common sense and change it. Sleeping is more important than common sense, anyhow. I'd be looking at the cooling system and transmission fluid as well.

Not loosing sleep it I actually was leaning towards not changing because I think somewhat aged oil maybe protect better than right out the bottle new oil. Coolants clean was partially replaced when the thermostat was done in November and I plan on a trans flush at 30000 miles it has about 18500 miles now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back