Should I drill a hole here?

I have a 1987 Chevy Silverado, and I added one-touch windows. You no longer have to hold the button down to operate the power windows. You just press it once like in a newer vehicle. The job is almost finished, but I need to run a power wire through the side of the cab and up into the firewall.

On some vehicles this isn't a problem, because you just use the factory holes. Can't do that on my 87 Chevy, because the two holes in the cab do not line up.

The hole on the outside of the cab is about 6 inches lower than the one on the inside. "Use some fish" you might say. I couldn't get that to work because of all the factory wires that are in the way, along with trying to get the tape to slide at odd angles through rubber. I tried for a long time with various implements and it ain't happening.

So can I just drill a hole straight through the side of the cab? It would be just below where the other hole is, for all the factory wiring. I would probably make this hole about 3/4" in diameter, in case I want to run more wires someday. For speakers. Thoughts, opinions? Never done this before so I thought it best to ask first. Thank you

You said ", in case I want to run more wires someday". I would do it when you actually do run more wires someday. It may never happen, so why have an empty hole?

You said ", in case I want to run more wires someday". I would do it when you actually do run more wires someday. It may never happen, so why have an empty hole?
he was talking about making the hole extra big.. he needs a hole now.

This has to be easier than you're making out. Look at where the parking brake cable goes through, the hood release cable. Remove the glove box, the floor trim, the under-dash trim, a fender liner.

If you need power there should be somewhere to tap in the inside fuse box.

Or are you talking about between the driver's door and cab in the hinge area? There should be a rubber tunnel already existing. Use it. Use top-shelf finely stranded wire like speaker wire because it takes flexing better.

This has to be easier than you're making out. Look at where the parking brake cable goes through, the hood release cable. Remove the glove box, the floor trim, the under-dash trim, a fender liner.

If you need power there should be somewhere to tap in the inside fuse box.

Or are you talking about between the driver's door and cab in the hinge area? There should be a rubber tunnel already existing. Use it. Use top-shelf finely stranded wire like speaker wire because it takes flexing better.

Yeah it's on the driver's side, but I couldn't get it through there. The factory wires running through there are packed in tight, and they didn't leave enough room to get by them. Not when the holes don't line up and are 6 inches apart. You'd need a dynamic fish tape that could twist and turn on it's own to get by the bundle of wires and fine the bottom hole. I can't justify spending an hour or more trying to get that through there when it seems like a lost cause.

But thanks to all, I have my answer. It is ok to drill a hole there. I just wanted to make it slightly larger than necessary, because later I can run speaker wire. And I didn't want to screw something up somehow. I will change the size of the hole to 3/8" instead of 3/4".

Last edited:
paint, grommet, even a lill conduit & the 'shrink wrap' (strengthen & protect the wire). Not sure if ur wrkin
in this area or a model w/nice 'dor crack jumper':

watch to end, very short (4 min)

Back