Should I change my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a trip to Portland Oregon from LA and back. I changed the oil before the trip with Mobil 1 10w-30 and M1 filter. I drove the car hard, 80-90 mph,engine revved around 4500 rpm all the time, and sometimes revved over 5k occasionally when going. this way i put 2500 miles in a few days. It's 04 civic w/5spd, so my question is, should i change the oil or not.

I would think not. It is synthetic and should take the heat of the 2500 mile "Italian Tuneup." Unless your oil pressure is significantly lower after the trip, indicating possible loss in viscosity, I would not worry about it.

But if this was the first time you ever used synthetic, then it may have gotten pretty dirty and possibly needs a change (first use of synthetic often gets dirty quickly from cleaning out old deposits).

I'd wait until 5k miles, sample, then take it from there....

I have to agree with Paul and Buster - this oil and filter are made for hard service, and should still be fine. In fact the oil is probably cleaner and more free of water/fuel contamination due to the higher oil temp caused by your speed. The short stroke Honda engines turn high revs with little stress. (assuming this is not the first use of synth. in a higher mileage engine, in which case you probably do want to do the change, as Paul noted)

At the same time if you want to change it, or send a sample for UOA, or both, it's not that much $.

the car has 35k already, synthetic oil all its life. after the trip the color of oil was still dark yellow. I guess M1 is very good oil. i made another trip before, shorter, to las vegas and back with similar driving conditions with having Valvoline synpower in crankcase, the oil was thick and black afterd i drained after the trip. Does this say anything about oil quality?

"Does this say anything about oil quality? "

Well it does. The people who like M1 will say that it means M1 is staying cleaner and holding up better to hard use, and the Valvoline is sludging up and breaking down.

The people who like Valvoline (hey, there has to be someone who does!) will say that it is doing a better job of holding the contaminants and cleaning out your engine.

I have found that every observance about an oil can be turned around to meet the argumentative needs of those in the discussion. Sounds like religion almost, right. At Bitog, oil is a deity.
smile.gif

Check out this UOA. This is on my '95 Accord. 2200 miles of the OCI are a trip from Olympia, WA to LA, almost identical to your trip. The oil was changed right before the trip. I drove 80+ almost the whole way, and between 90 and 100 both ways on the stretch between Sacramento and LA. My car spent lots of time at 4000+ rpm, especially in the mountains!!

Since your car is an '04, I'm assuming that you're done with breakin, so there's no reason to change for that. Based on the experiences I've had with my Honda, I recommend that you extend your OCI at least 2000 miles over how far you originally planned to run the oil. For example, you planned to run 5k miles, now run 7k miles.

i wouldn't change the oil as yet. i don't think reving @ 4500rpm doing 80mph on the high way is abuse on your engine. compared to stop on go. id prolly chage it @ 3k or 3.5k

Why on earth would you want to change your oil, it has had a life of luxury.

When I pull my Grandson's boat (~3500 #) I run between 4,000 and 5,000 RPM's all day long. The last trip was from New York to Michigan and we went along rather briskly.

The oil gets changed at 10,000 miles, a few RPM's won't hurt Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back