Should I Build A PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the haste to add the power supply and re-add the CPU while tinkering, I put the wrong vendor for the CPU. It can be had for a penny more at Newegg, so everything but the power supply can be had at Newegg. If you can stomach a $20 MIR, a $20 Corsair PSU can't be beat.

I love building computers, but I like to spec out real nice, high end stuff and then put it together for cheap.

For a cheap device, Id go with the low end stuff you can get in the stores, as they can likely source it and put it together cheaper than you can.

Or even go used.

This discussion is like someone saying, why change your own oil?

I say yes, build your own PC.

I find most Cheap ready built PCs are not good for doing upgrades. If you are only surfing the web, then most cheap laptops are ok. If you want any better performance than you need to get a better PC.

My 14 year old son helped me pick the components to build a pc for his brother. Cost was over $750 CDN with taxes, but we have a PC with a Graphics card with 2GB of DDR5 ram. The video card itself was $160, but I recall in the pentium 386 days when 1MB was $100 per MB.

This PC will be much better than any Dell prebuilt system with integrated graphics. Only other option I need will be a SSD that I will install when I can get one for a good price.

If you really want to save, then check all of the websites such as Tigerdirect.com and get parts when they are on sale.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
If you play PC games , you gonna spend alot if you want a video card.

Cheap route would be an AMD APU....its cpu and good graphics in one place. You build the whole thing for about 400-500 bucks.

if you want to spend more, sky is the limit.

if you just want A computer, they are plenty of cheap labtops on market.
I have an lenono y410p. It plays any game at high settings, can render, portble, and i personaly like the look. Cost me only 700.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
If you play PC games , you gonna spend alot if you want a video card.

Cheap route would be an AMD APU....its cpu and good graphics in one place. You build the whole thing for about 400-500 bucks.

if you want to spend more, sky is the limit.

if you just want A computer, they are plenty of cheap labtops on market.
I have an lenono y410p. It plays any game at high settings, can render, portble, and i personaly like the look. Cost me only 700.

It really depends. On the CPU side, Intel hammers AMD in single threaded performance. The Ivy Bridge Celeron G1610 outperforms the A4 by a decent margin. And if gaming isn't a concern, the Intel build would be the better way to go.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I love building computers, but I like to spec out real nice, high end stuff and then put it together for cheap.

For a cheap device, Id go with the low end stuff you can get in the stores, as they can likely source it and put it together cheaper than you can.

I agree with this. I recently contemplated building a small inexpensive desktop computer, but simply couldn't justify the cost of doing it myself. We bought a $300 Dell small form factor on sale at Best Buy and, including a legit copy of Windows (which was a must, as we were moving back to it from Apple), I'd have been scaring 500 bucks for similar hardware from Newegg. The Intel G2030 processor is very nice, the integrated graphics display anything I've tried to watch on our Asus 23" monitor beautifully, and the 4 GB of RAM it came with (expandable to 8 GB) is more than enough for Windows 8.1. It also has wireless on-board, so that's a USB adapter I don't have to have sticking out the back, or an add-in card I don't have to buy.

Interestingly, this computer can also be a wireless hotspot. I don't know if that's a Dell software or internal to Windows 8.1, but I can set this computer up as a hotspot and connect the phone or tablet to it instead of to our dedicated router.

Hmmmm...maybe you guys are right.

Maybe it would be easier to simply buy a computer from HP, Dell, or any other major computer manufacturer.

What would be the bare minimum specs I would need now that will last me at least 5 years of quick performance? Also, a PC that will be easy to upgrade if needed.

I know SSD out performs standard hard drives, but right now a standard 7200rpm hard drive is PLENTY good for my needs.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
What would be the bare minimum specs I would need now that will last me at least 5 years of quick performance? Also, a PC that will be easy to upgrade if needed.

To be clear, a DIY build will probably be easier to upgrade into the future, but there are some things you can look for in a retail machine that will help. I'd look for an Intel G-series processor or Intel Core i3, 4 GB of RAM expandable to at least 8 GB, and slots for two hard drives if that is what you prefer. I preferred the smaller form factor of a smaller chassis, and that has room for only one internal hard drive. I did ensure, however, that the Dell that we did buy used an industry-standard sized power supply (it does), and that it would accept an industry-standard ITX motherboard if I wanted to upgrade the whole shooting match in the future (it does).

Here's another option: find a free case that you like in the form of someone's broken or throw-away computer. Chances are, the power supply is still good and that'll save you $80-100 on a DIY build right there. Cases and power supplies aren't cheap. If you can start with a retail case that someone is tossing out, you knock probably 25% off the cost of a basic DIY build. And if you already have a retail copy of Windows that you will install, or use a Linux distro, that's another 100 bucks you save on a DIY build.

You can buy a motherboard and processor for about $200, RAM for another $50 or so, and a 1 TB hard drive for $50-100. That's $350 at the most, and if you can put that into a free case, you're pretty much at the cost of a very basic retail computer and you'll likely have better components in yours. But...if you have to add the cost of buying a case and power supply (at least $100) and a copy of Windows (at least $100), then you have to start looking at the cost/benefit of doing it yourself. If it's your hobby...that's great, and totally different. But if you're strictly looking at return on investment, you have to start looking at costs if you have to buy the case and the operating system.

For a prebuilt, something like this (few bucks cheaper at Newegg) is the ticket. It has Windows 7 Pro, RAM should be expandable up to 16GB, DVDRW, built-in wireless, built-in card reader, USB 3.0 and other perks at a solid price. As long as you have the monitor, you're good to go here. If you can "live" with Windows 8 and get a program that emulates the OS to Windows 7, you can save $100 here.

Originally Posted By: crosseyedwx
If you can "live" with Windows 8 and get a program that emulates the OS to Windows 7, you can save $100 here.

That's the same one we have, and it's been a great little desktop. Windows 8 is fantastic with Stardock's Start8 installed. The downside of the small form factor case is that you cannot install two internal hard drives. The upside, obviously, is a smaller desk footprint.

Best Buy sells this one in-store for $299 as well, so you don't have to wait for Amazon shipping.

Before you make a deicion: think about WHY it's so much cheaper than building it yourself. The OEM PC makers can sacrifice on quality, they generally use lowest bidder components, especially for important things like motherboards and power supplies. It has no SSD, which these days is something you want. It has next to ZERO upgradeability. I will never ever buy a prebuilt PC again, I like picking my own parts and getting high quality, reliable components.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Before you make a deicion: think about WHY it's so much cheaper than building it yourself. The OEM PC makers can sacrifice on quality, they generally use lowest bidder components, especially for important things like motherboards and power supplies. It has no SSD, which these days is something you want. It has next to ZERO upgradeability. I will never ever buy a prebuilt PC again, I like picking my own parts and getting high quality, reliable components.

Ditto. I've built my last two computers, and won't look back. I know exactly what I am getting, can exchange parts as I choose, and can fine-tine exactly what I want in the best price-range, and it's fun. You learn a lot about computers by doing the research, and totally worth the few extra dollars, imo.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

And I'm sure the buying power of purchasing hundreds of thousands of parts in quantity has nothing to do with it.
wink.gif

I disagree completely with the notion that there is "next to ZERO" upgradeability. It CAN be the case, but it's not always the case. Most retail PCs today use very standard micro-ATX or ITX form factors with industry-standard footprint power supplies. Most have motherboards where you can upgrade processors and RAM, and most have expansion slots where you can add additional capability. If you're buying a mini tower, most also have the capacity to add at least one additional internal hard drive and one additional external 5.25" drive, depending on size of model you get.

You do have to be watchful of what you're buying, though, and this is no different than specifying your own parts. Some will come with a motherboard with no additional SATA ports, so even though it might have room for an extra drive, you effectively couldn't add one. Some may also come with proprietary power connectors, though I think this is becoming less common these days. If you don't know what you're doing, you can pretty easily come up with a kitten kaboodle of PC parts with limited interactivity or even no interactivity at all. Either route, DIY or retail, deserves a fair amount of research if you want the machine to be relevant in the future (or to work at all).

I'm also not sure it's necessarily the case that you're guaranteed better quality buying your own parts. Most "consumer" grade motherboards on Newegg, for example, ones selling in the neighborhood of $80-120, have multiple reports of DOAs and failures after very short time periods. I think, like automotive parts, OEM computer parts have more consistent quality and reliability. The Foxconn motherboard that's in my Dell computer may not have the bells and whistles as a top-shelf aftermarket Foxconn on Newegg, but I'd wager that the quality of the OEM Foxconns is at least as consistent as the quality of their aftermarket line.

I have owned three custom built Windows computers. I will never buy a retail Windows computer again. You can get exactly what you want and need with a custom built computer and not have to remove junk software that is usually included with computers you buy at some place like Best Buy. My current computer was ungraded recently and most of the components are fairly new. But it still has a six year old graphics card, a six year old hard drive, and a six year old Blu-Ray burner. All of those components still work fine but I will eventually have to replace the hard drive (the operating system is on a SSD) and the graphics card. I may not replace the Blu-Ray burner because I am not sure of the future of Blu-Ray.

I like to work on photos and create slideshows and I have a Windows computer powerful enough to do things like that. It is important to have a quality case that will last for a long time. And then you just upgrade whatever components need to be upgraded.

Macs on the other hand cannot be custom built very easily. I also own an iMac. I actually prefer the Mac OS X operating system but Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 (with Start8 software) are not bad either. And Apple Computers do not have as great of software/hardware compatibility as Windows computers.

I went with a pre-built box a year ago as it seemed to be the better deal. I am not afraid of building from scratch or upgrading and existing box to add what I want, although my needs are simple. This HP box came with an AMD A8 with 6gb ram, 1tb HD, and Win8 (for good or bad....thank you Start8) for well under $400. Lots of power for me. The motherboard has lots of expansion capability; the case has the space, but not the fixtures to add additional hard drives. I had to drill holes in the case to mount a 2tb HD. Oh well, it has been running well for the past year without issue.

These days it only make sense to build if you 1) want to reuse old parts from your old PC (like DVD drive, hard drives, power supply, mouse, keyboard, case, etc) and 2) if you wants a standardized case that can take standardized motherboards instead of weird factory specific form factor in the future for upgrade.

Starting from brand new and to be thrown away when it dies? Not worth building yourself.

I built my last PC in March 2009, and it's still running. But considering the cost of Win7 alone, it's not worthwhile to build another one IMO.

I built my first PC and several after that but it would be hard to beat this for value:

Office Despot has a DELL with INTEL core CPU, 8 GB RAM, 1 terrabyte HD for $479.-, I saw it in Sunday insert for Feb 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back