Should I believe Consumer Reports when............

Status
Not open for further replies.
they claim Norton Internet Security is noticeably better than ESET's I/S software?

I've been using ESET for about one year now with no problems. I know some of you think I/S software is "bloated," but when Momma's on the wi-fi card in a public area, I'd prefer the bloat over being hacked. Of course, the first rule is "no accessing financial accounts when in that environment."

I believe CR for reliability ratings on appliances, but I'm not so certain with software ratings.

FWIW: PC Magazine named Norton as the top security suite, very closely followed by Kaspersky. I usually tend to believe Consumer Reports but I recently visited their web site and was going to subscribe to the online content until I came to the automatic renewal rule. You have to contact someone directly by phone to stop the renewal. This is also why I stopped using Norton as when I decided to use a different software when the subscription ran out it took an act of congress to get unhooked from them.

Originally Posted By: Autografe
FWIW: PC Magazine named Norton as the top security suite, very closely followed by Kaspersky. I usually tend to believe Consumer Reports but I recently visited their web site and was going to subscribe to the online content until I came to the automatic renewal rule. You have to contact someone directly by phone to stop the renewal. This is also why I stopped using Norton as when I decided to use a different software when the subscription ran out it took an act of congress to get unhooked from them.

I've had CR online off and on for years. I activate it online when I need it and then I deactivate it online when I'm done. I've never once had to call them.

Last edited:
My answer would be no. We had Norton 360 on both my Wife's desktop and my laptop. Both got viruses (had never had a virus using any other A/V.) I have the ESET I/S on my laptop and have been happy with it. As an experiment, I have AVS Free on the desktop and I have been happy with that as well. Have to agree with Autografe in that it is a part time job to get the Norton off the computer when one decides not to use it anymore,

Nobody on the Audi forums likes Norton. I took it off completely for Avast! and am 100% happy.

Hmmm. Perhaps I misread CR's policy and leaped to a wrong conclusion. Mea Culpa! I have been burned in the past on this auto renew thing.

Last edited:
BTW I am now using Avast and Comodo firewall both free versions and have had no trouble in the past two years.I believe the version of Norton tested in PC Magazine is 2010.

CR is full of the stuff in my daughter's diapers. I was, yes was a believer and even paid for the darn mag for many years, bought few products each around $2k and both failed in less than few months and manufacturers response was horrible.
I am inclined to think they roll the dice to give rating.

windows internal security works quite well and if youkeep the firewall tight you should be good and should not need any 3rd party products.

Personally Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials work better than Norton or McAfee. Both in system performance and security.

I don't trust CR for many things. Their bias shows all the time.

Bill

No, I always had Norton freeze my system on several pcs. It may be the PC needs to be better, but I don't want a better.

I think CR used to be very good when they tested six cylinder Valiants and published useful information like final gear ratio. I read it, but don't trust the people testing now, too opinionated, preconceived notioned, and wealth oriented. I don't have or want to spend 50k on a car.

CR lost all credibility with me years ago when they rated a Homelite string trimmer as their best value above the Stihl product.

I use Avast, malwarebytes and CCleaner, never a problem.

The Norton commercial product is good but not great, and I've heard from my friend in Symantec that they have the commercial AV team redesigned the new consumer AV, so it might be the new one that is much more responsive.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
they claim Norton Internet Security is noticeably better than ESET's I/S software?

I've been using ESET for about one year now with no problems. I know some of you think I/S software is "bloated," but when Momma's on the wi-fi card in a public area, I'd prefer the bloat over being hacked. Of course, the first rule is "no accessing financial accounts when in that environment."

I believe CR for reliability ratings on appliances, but I'm not so certain with software ratings.

Symantec radically redesigned the interface on the Internet Security Product, 360, and so on a couple of years ago.

I used their software from DOS when Peter Norton was actually with the company up the present.

The current package greatly reduced the amount of intervention needed from the older versions.

The same package is well-reviewed by the consumer PC magazines.

As a 30 year IT professional I was aghast when my engineers said "NIS 2009" to replace Panda Platinum Internet Security, I thought they were mad! Not so it was light, fast, and no more infections. Upgraded seamlessly to NIS 2010 which was lighter, and faster, and trialling NIS 2011 beta. I used to run MBAM, SAS, Spyware Doctor paid version, PREVX, a-squared, and Spybot for standalone removal, but dumped all bar MBAM, and even it hasn't found anything since NIS 2009 was installed. It will do me.

As per sprintman's findings, I wouldn't mind trying NIS.

On the other hand, Symantec just lost a rather decent size contract with a company I know for poor performance during the roll-out phase. They got their $$ back and went with a different product in that market space.

Symantec is the problem with Norton's products. Peter Norton doesn't care, he gets his $$ every time someone buys a product with his name on it.

Wouldn't touch the corporate stuff (been there done that) but NIS is a different ballgame. I can't think of any product that has gone from so bad to so good in any sphere. Bucketloads of money if used wisely along with a new culture can achieve great results. Personally I thinked they should have ditched the Norton name but that's just me.

I've actually got both programs running on a few of our systems. I have ESET's NOD32 (not the I/S suite) running on my personal system. I don't use I/S suites on ANY of my own systems. Those owned by clients or are user purchased, well not much of a choice there.

I still hate NIS. It is MUCH better than previous versions, but I still feel ESET is a superior product. I would just go with their NOD32 product, not the I/S suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back