Should I be worried that the leaf spring collapsed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
After watching my own video I don't think I want to put this filter back on again ever.(The leaf spring was flat).What do you guy's think, could the filter been running in bypass mode, or is it okay. Scary thought.

Did it rattle if shaken? If not, it probably was ok. Leaf springs in some (all?) filters that have them can be distorted if the filter is dropped.

Yeah, it looks deformed and creased. As mentioned already, it's a good idea to shake the filter to listen for loose guts before installing and after use.

I always shake and check the filters before. Seems this filter kinda squashed the leaf spring,and probably went into bypass mode . I well check this out in another filter next time. This is why I hate leaf spring filters.

Originally Posted by MParr
Duh! The dingbat put that monster magnet on there. Crazy what some people will do.

LOL the magnet can't bend metal.

My preference has always been brands that use the coil spring. Not sure about any data to substantiate its better but just seems more robust.

Because the internal spring is supposed to have tension, it will make the baseplate push outward before the last part of the can is cut off. I did not see the baseplate pushing outward toward the end of the cut so I suspect it may have been in partial bypass, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back