Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st a little background info. I have an 05 Focus ST w/ the 2.3l Duratec engine. At 5000 miles I filled the crankcase w/M1 5W20, but at 10000 I switched back to MC 5W20 because I just couldn't see spending the extra money on the M1 when I have to change the oil at 5K intervals to comply w/ my warranty. At 15000 I changed the the oil and it seemed like no problem. Here's where my concern lies. As I was pouring the from my drain pan into the bottle to take it back for recycling I noticed some little stringy thing inside the oil flow as it went out of the drain pan. Im my mind I'm thinking that must be contamination from the drain pan (I don't do a world class job of cleaning it after each oil change) but after a little time passed this began to bother me. What are the chances that this was some kind of sludge contaminating my oil? Thanks for any responses.

I like your user name. From one SOONER fan to another, I would not worry about it. To many things can cling to a drain pan before, during, and after an oil change.

Are you sure it was a "string", or was it just stringy?

Flow of oil with impurities, water, etc. can do some interesting things... and sometimes look odd.

JMH

P.S. What kind of fuel economy are you getting in that car? I have an 06 long term rental for work, and even with only the 2.0, it doesnt do much better than high 32... whereas in my own car, an 04 saab, driving the same way I can get 34-36... Is the focus just that poor on economy?

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Are you sure it was a "string", or was it just stringy?

Flow of oil with impurities, water, etc. can do some interesting things... and sometimes look odd.

JMH

P.S. What kind of fuel economy are you getting in that car? I have an 06 long term rental for work, and even with only the 2.0, it doesnt do much better than high 32... whereas in my own car, an 04 saab, driving the same way I can get 34-36... Is the focus just that poor on economy?

It was stringy looking, kind of mucous looking, clung to the pan for a while in the oil flow then dropped into the used oil container. On fuel economy at 10000 miles I peaked out at 30-31 and it stayed there. Then at about 14,000 miles I began us FP60, it then began climbing again and has now settled between 33 and 34. My last fillup was 393.2 miles w/11.6 gallons of gas.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
I like your user name. From one SOONER fan to another, I would not worry about it. To many things can cling to a drain pan before, during, and after an oil change.

Thanks Johnny, I'm glad to hear there are other Sooners on here.

OK, well this long term rental only has ~3000 miles, 1000 of which Ive put on. I guess it just needs some breaking in?!?

JMH

Could be the tranny. If it's a rental it might not have an overdrive...
dunno.gif

The guy on the assembly line who put the final widget in the bottom end before the pan was bolted in place, probably had a cold and launched a world class snot-goober when he sneezed. I nominate you for the first annual BITOG "Mr. Lucky" award.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
The guy on the assembly line who put the final widget in the bottom end before the pan was bolted in place, probably had a cold and launched a world class snot-goober when he sneezed. I nominate you for the first annual BITOG "Mr. Lucky" award.
wink.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

It sounds to me like a piece of silicone assembly sealant. Don't sweat it. If you're still thinking about it tomorrow, just change out the oil again.

If you're still thinking about it the day after that; take three 20mg capsules of PROZAC, and call me in the morning.
smile.gif

I was thinking Ativan. It kicks in faster for my psycho cousin. Has a VERY calming effect..

I vote liqui-gasket silicone too. The pick-up screen would have kept it in the pan, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back