Shopping Subaru 2013 Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm not happy that my H4 required head gaskets in 70-75k miles I'd pick the H4 over the H6.

Loved our Outback but did not like how complex it was. A LOT of stuff to go wrong over a simple 4 cyl FWD vehicle.

So my vote is for the H4.

Bill

PS: If you smell coolant and the UOA comes back clean, you still have a leak. And it will become one that needs to be repaired. Also I DID do the coolant change WITH Subaru stop leak "conditioner" every 2 years or 30k miles.

Drive both.

The difference is subjective.

For 2013 the H4 comes with CVT or 6MT. H6 comes only with 5EAT.
Both are timing chain engines. Both run regular fuel. Both have great AWD systems.

I prefer the power of the H6, but the utilitarian in me has never needed the extra power for lower MPG trade off.

The six is a rocket, easily comparable to an Accord V-6.
The four is a bit slow as compared to a 4 cyl Accord.
If you really care about fuel economy for the miles you'll drive the car, get the four.
If you want real grunt and aren't as concerned about fuel economy, go for the six.
If you want better fuel economy, go for a Honda Accord.
As BIU notes above, Subaru engines are fairly complicated for the power they deliver, and Subaru engines are among the few modern engines noted for head gasket failures in typical use.
Of course, that's been fixed, says Subaru, but it was also supposed to have been fixed by the time BIU bought his new Subaru.

Manual or automatic transmission choice also makes the engine decision for you.

If you prefer automatic, I have a buddy with the H6 and he really enjoys it.

Another friend has the Manual and H4; loves it.

It really is about the transmission.

the CVT is trash. go for a manual 4, or the 6. i would look elsewhere personally, its too expensive for the value.

I have the H6 in a 2012 Outback. It really boils down to what you think you need.

I've driven a 127 hp Civic for the last 11 years. So when we drove the 4 banger Outback, I thought it was fine.

My wife was driving a 265 hp Xterra for 7 years. When she drove the 4-cylinder Outback, she thought it was weak and wouldn't give her the oomph she "needs" to merge into traffic around here. So we bought the 6.

In the back of my mind, I did like the fact that this was a traditional 5AT rather than the CVT, and more power is always nice. Over on the Subaru Outback forum, a lot of folks like the fuel economy of the 4, but she doesn't drive it a lot. We are coming up on a year with Outback and she might break 10k miles this year. We were also used to 16 mpg from the Xterra, so any improvement was fine. She sits in a lot of traffic, and we average about 20-21. On a road trip, it can go 25-26.

That is really good information for me, guys, thank you.
I should have stated the choice was between the manual trans 4 cylinder and a rather loaded H6.
I'm not commuting any more, and was looking for something that fits 4 people comfortably going over the Rockies and traversing the desert Southwest every winter.

Any thoughts along those lines, please feel free to add commentary.

I've taken my 2007 H4 Auto Outback over the rockies quite a few times with 4-5 people in it (in 2010 took it to the East Coast) and with poorly spaced 4 speed gears I was normally doing 50 mph in 2nd gear spinning around 5000 RPM to get over the tunnel eastbound.

I'm sure with the 5 speed manual things will be better. If I was getting another Subaru it would be the 4 cyl.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back