Shop lighting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey friends...

Quick question regarding shop lighting.

I just purchased a short sale property and there are quite a few lights 'out' and I'm assuming it is due to a bad ballast resistor (florescent tube lights).

The bulbs are a mix of 32W T-8 and 34W- T12 in 4ft. length.

The existing ballast are SunPark SL15 (so far in the ones I've taken down). I'm assuming there is a different type of ballast to drive the T-12s, but I haven't removed any of the T12 lights just yet.

All lights have 2 bulbs per.

I'm no professor when it comes to lights and I'm somewhat confused by what I've read online as a good replacement.
Some are "Instant Start" and some are "Rapid Start" ballasts.
The difference being one heats the element constantly even when lit and the other only when turning on. Continuing along those lines... there are tradeoffs... one results in longer bulp life with shorter ballast life and vice-versa... or so I've read.

Use: These overhead lamps will see frequent on and off, limited constant 'on' use, 30min- 2hr. max time periods when lit.

Just looking for a well-rounded ballast for my application.

The seller left two 30 pack boxes of the Sylvania Ecologic F34CW/SS/T12 and Phillips E32/T8 bulbs, so I'll be using these.

Many thanks for the help/ info.

-Dellinger

T12 are phasing out at a federal level from the enviro-nuts....T8 is now even considered not as energy efficient. Both T8 and T12 lamps will run off of a T12 ballast (same lamp connectors) but with limited life on the T8. Very very soon you will not be able to buy T12 lamps or ballasts.

That being said, I would replace what's out with T8 electronic ballasts. With T8 (and more current T5 and T5 HO) technology you are not going to see a difference in lighting or starting performance unless it is well below freezing, all modern electronic ballasts pretty much operate the same. The lamps won't flicker or ballasts hum loudly or slow to fire up like the old magnetic T12 setups. Remember to pick 120v only ballasts (cheaper) if you only have 120v lighting; the 240v relay systems in modern buildings use a different ballast or a "dual voltage" ballast for either one, but they cost more for the ability to run either voltage.

Don't sweat it, replace with T8 and use up your T12 and T8 lamps that you have stored. When I say "reduced life" it may be 18,000 or 19,000 hours vs 20K-22K hours of lamp life, not enough to lose sleep over, you are likely not going to blow anything up swapping T8 and T12 lamps with a T8 ballast, just very slightly lower lamp life.

-JW
Former Facility Manager/Director

I saw one of the big box stores, think it was lowes, has a 4 pack of electronic ballasts for $48, so 12 per. I'd replace any bulb you take down with a T8. Some electronic ballasts say right on the label they will run a T12 but the T8 being skinnier has more room behind it for light to reflect and IMO will give off more effective light.

If you can fix up the lights you've got the metal they're made of is probably heavier dutier than anything you'd get now.

I'm a pretty cheap person but I sprung for the $35 for ten bulbs high CRI tubes, a name brand, probably phillips or sylania. CRI is the other half of quality next to color temperature and basically it just means it's closer to a true rainbow of light given off. Red stuff in part box labels and coke cans "pops" better under high CRI tubes.

my dad left me a bunch OLDER lights. i couldnt find bulbs. OUT they went, and i bought new ones, now i can find bulbs. ITS JUST A LIGHT.

I just got done installing new lights in my Garage. I put in a bunch of 8' long fixtures that take 4 T8's each.

It really will be worth it to shop around for new fixtures. the light in the center of my garage is a High Output T8 fixture, and I love it.

BTW, I also replaced the T-12's in my kitchen right after we moved in 5 years ago. The original magnetic ballasts were bad and didn't work well, sometimes they would come on, other times I would wait 10 minutes before they chose to come on. Unbeknownst to me at the time was the fact that come 2014 or 2016 it will be illegal to sell T12 bulbs in the USA.
The thought police know what I think about that.

Shop around and see what you find. Everyone who walks into my garage wishes they had lights like mine. Even my Father wants me to install lights when he gets his garage in order.

About the Kitchen. I will have to replace those fixtures, again, when that time comes. Because T12's are now considered a waste of electricity by Congress.

Wow, good stuff all around. Thanks gentlemen, T8 it is... for now!?!?

Geez...if you were closer, I'd happily take all those T12 tubes! I think I have eight 2-tube T12's in my garage! I have plenty of ballasts (I think I have 16 of the 20 I had), but only have three tubes left (out of the 40 I bought years ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back