Shop fan (with the name I can't type here)

I am looking at buying the Big fan for my shop.

I am looking for opinions on them before I unload the thousands they cost.

Does anyone here have one or have an opinion on them? The few people I have talked to that own one love them, but I am looking for more info.

Sorry I can't type the name but you should be able to figure it out. it's your butt

How big is your shop?

A friend picked up this Dewalt fan. It’s a floor model and did a good job in a 30x35 foot barn shop. It has variable speeds. They bought it at Costco.

Reactions: JC1
How big is your shop?

A friend picked up this Dewalt fan. It’s a floor model and did a good job in a 30x35 foot barn shop. It has variable speeds. They bought it at Costco.
it's gonna be 50' x 60'

I worked at a place that had a bunch of them. They circulate air but when you are pulling air down from a tall building you are just making the floor area as hot as it was by the ceiling. A building with a good roof exhaust that pulls air in from the shaded side of the building is better. Nothing beats a floor fan blowing at you.

I think there are some alternatives that are cheaper and better.

We had 8 of the Large Donkey (I can type that one here at least...) fans in our stamping plant, they were very effective and quiet for the amount of air they moved. Strongly recommend.

I've been in several shops where these are used. They are high quality and work excellent. They are expensive, but worth it if you need good air movement.

There are also other brands now which mimic the performance; good to shop around.

If you have paperwork and stuff nearby you need to make sure it is covered. Make sure stuff won't get blown off the printer.

We have one at our warehouse, it is blamed for disappearing invoices sometimes, but definitely does its job. For reference our parts warehouse is an old grocery store and the big butt fan is in the loading dock area.

People confuse these big fans with air conditioning systems.

If you think putting one in an enclosed shop is going to make it more comfortable, you're wrong. You will need to have some large doors open or some cross-ventilation with wall or roof exhaust fans and wall louvers opposite them. This system with the big fans will provide some decent air movement.

There's several manufacturers of these fans. Whichever you choose, it needs to be properly sized for your building. There's more to it than saying "I want a 8' fan"

Quality product thats worth the money with an annoying return policy if you do have a problem (which I had)

I had a unit lose a bearing and I had to purchase a brand new one and wait for a credit which came in the form of a check quite a while after the return was sent back.

This is significantly worse than how I treat my clients.

It isnt enough to keep me from buying the brand again but it was annoying being down double the money for some time and having to pay for an install twice.

People confuse these big fans with air conditioning systems.

If you think putting one in an enclosed shop is going to make it more comfortable, you're wrong. You will need to have some large doors open or some cross-ventilation with wall or roof exhaust fans and wall louvers opposite them. This system with the big fans will provide some decent air movement.

There's several manufacturers of these fans. Whichever you choose, it needs to be properly sized for your building. There's more to it than saying "I want a 8' fan"
I think most of us understand that fans are not AC. The shop will have large doors and no AC. BAF has already looked at the plans and recommended a unit for the space. So we are doing our due diligence. Not everyone just buys stuff willy nilly.

Couple things to think about...

You are just blowing the hottest air down - could you instead use the energy to draw the hot air out?

They circulate dust and contamination - I don't know what kind of shop you run, but if doing engine rebuilds, tranny rebuilds, etc...I would not want the dust being blown around that those fans can circulate. Where I work, if someone is hot, we use a personal fan with a built in filter to keep dust down.

a difference in perceived coolness.
that's the key (either + or -). I'd go cheeper w/a same sized we cobble up w/our own frame and castors.
The building envelope and right sized HVAC system makes all the difference. Some multi-nat machine shops I've wrked in got THAT down. Now, practicly ina barn (2 lifts, cement floor, 3 bay, 10 car possibility, 30 ft celing. Building is in direct sun 13 hr day summer) I like the big fan:

(locally Granger Industrial Supply - 36 inch, 1 hp, single phase)
We use wood heat winters.

Back