Shooting for 10,000 mile OCI with GC this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSV

I'll publish the UOA when it's done. I'm guessing this will be completed in July.

This will be in a 98 Nissan Frontier with the KA24DE oil smasher engine. Terry advised I could do this interval and I've been experimenting with Lube Control to figure out the dosages I want to use. I plan on adding an ounce at 3000/6000/9000 miles. The 4 oz. initial dose really seemed to thin the GC out in my last 5000 mile run.

This will be the third GC interval in this engine.
Oil filter(s) will be Napa Gold 1344. I'm leary of running 1 filter this long so I'll probably change it half way through.

stay tuned...

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Congratulations on making that leap of faith! It was actually a relief when I finally stopped analyzing how bad it might be to go that long, & just did it. What kind of filters are you using? I just pulled apart an ACDelco that had been on my car for 6500 miles/13.5 months (with "thick" 15W-50), & it was still in perfect shape.

The only other thing I can say is, "Too bad EC isn't good enough to go the distance on its own." (Any takers on that one?
wink.gif
grin.gif
) I'm giving serious thought to running the new M1 5W-40 for 20k miles in both of my N/A cars, running UOAs & changing the filters at 10k. But I'm not as brave as Pablo, & won't run it that long in my turbo.

cheers.gif

Ahh, headfirst my man, you make me scared to say I'm from Colorado ...

Yeah quadrun1, I know it's capable w/o all that additional cocktail. Just trying to get a rise from any devoted fans.
smile.gif

quote:

The only other thing I can say is, "Too bad EC isn't good enough to go the distance on its own." (Any takers on that one?)

GC is A3 rated so it probably can go the distance on its own but I'm not interested in just squeaking by. I want there to be lots of life left in the oil when I dump it after 10,000.

This is my daily driver and I'm not trying to prove a point with it for Castrol or anybody else.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

[ March 04, 2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: GSV ]

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
GC is A3 rated so it probably can go the distance on its own but I'm not interested in just squeaking by. ...

I know exactly how you feel! I went thru the same concerns when I switched (cold turkey) from 3k mi OCIs to 10k mi OCIs. As a matter of fact, those same concerns are what caused me to switch from Syntec to Mobil 1. (I'm just giving a friendly jab to all the EC users, that's all.
tongue.gif
) But from all the reports we've seen so far, I'd say you have very little to worry about with unadulterated EC in a N/A engine. A mid-run filter change sounds like a good, safe step, & should boost the oil's abilities enough to not worry about it. For comparison, did you ever have UOAs done on your dino oil?

quote:

did you ever have UOAs done on your dino oil?

Nope. I rack up miles pretty quick, this motor wails on oil, and the temp. extremes here are enough that I always planned to run synthetic after an initial Auto-RX treat. I bought this truck used in late Sept. with 54K and I've now got 70K in early March.

I did post a UOA with GC @ 5150 miles here: UOA

When you say EC are you refering to the 5w-40? This is the German 0w-30 that I'm using.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Whatcha talking 'bout Willis? (err, Eiron)

Sure, GC can do it on its own!

My dad is currently 8,500 miles into a 10,000 mile interval on GC. Next run will be 15K.

Oops, sorry.
blush.gif
The "EC" tag came from "the early years" of this peek-a-boo Castrol formulation. Folks were so caught up in the Gümmi Castrol frenzy that they were driving 160 miles a crack trying to find it, & stockpiling hundreds of quarts before they even knew if it was beneficial in their applications.

I guess, maybe now, I could re-interpret the initials as Euro Castrol.
wink.gif

Emotional Castrol?
pat.gif

0w-30 with a -40 degree start rating
12.2 vis @ 100c
A3 rating
high TBN and Calcium

$4.16 a quart (AZ seems to run the buy 5 get the 6th free everytime I think about buying some.)

No, this would be LC if that moniker wasn't already taken.
grin.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back