Shock Replacement Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
This dealer where I get my vehicle(02 Tacoma) serviced for oil change told me that my rear shocks are leaking.
They quoted me $400ish for replacement.
Should I get the front shocks replaced at the same time?
They haven’t told me anything about front shocks so I am assuming they are still ok and I am looking for a stock level setup. I just want the truck to look like it’s stock and not interested in lifting it at all.
Are there any aftermarket brands that anyone can recommend?

Thank you

If you can afford it and both front and rear are original, replace both the ride will go back to original quality. That is if you plan on keeping it awhile.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
If the Tacoma still has the OEM shocks should make for an easy decision don't you think?

It’s still on OEM shocks after 15 or so years since its birth.
I am not sure when it started leaking.

I was wondering if the aftermarket would be a cheaper option.

My other option is to get the OEM shocks and take it to an independent shop.

Originally Posted By: LOLVO
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
If the Tacoma still has the OEM shocks should make for an easy decision don't you think?

It’s still on OEM shocks after 15 or so years since its birth.
I am not sure when it started leaking.

I was wondering if the aftermarket would be a cheaper option.

My other option is to get the OEM shocks and take it to an independent shop.

KYB shocks are good. I hate Monroe who also makes Rancho. Terrible lifespan and reliability.

I agree with the KYB suggestion and replacing all at the same time if you can afford it.

At the same time, I would strongly suggest checking all the other components... tie rods, bearings, ball joints, etc. Good time to freshen everything up if none of it has been done yet.

My dad had the ball joints done on the front of his 98 Ram and I tried to get him to do everything. He decided to save $$$ and now, a few months later, he is having to replace it all.

On a pick-up with their generally buck-board ride, I'd go Rancho 5000 in OEM length. They will not raise the vehicle, but the ride will be soooo much better
smile.gif

I've had nothing but awful ride quality with aftermarket shocks. I go on Amazon/Rock Auto/Ebay and look for OEM parts available at a discount. But I do all the work myself.

Rule of thumb is replace them once they hit 125K (stretch would be 150K).
Having them replaced earlier gives you a better ride and the new ones can go for another 125K.
Replacing all of them is definetly the best option, if you haven't changed the fronts.

Stick with OEM and bite the bullet from a cost standpoint. Shop online for OEM shocks.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Having them replaced earlier gives you a better ride and the new ones can go for another 125K.
Replacing all of them is definetly the best option, if you haven't changed the fronts.

Stick with OEM and bite the bullet from a cost standpoint. Shop online for OEM shocks.

Oh good. My truck only has 109K on it, so I'll just leave the blown out shocks on it until it hits 125K.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Bilstein HD 4600 or KYB MonoMax

^This, Bilstein are best, but stiff. KYB next in line, don't waste money on any others.

I recommend Bilsteins as well. Put them on my Montero and were very stiff for about 10,000 miles after that ride improved. They are awesome off road and large ruts in roads like winter potholes.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

Oh good. My truck only has 109K on it, so I'll just leave the blown out shocks on it until it hits 125K.

He did say "Rule of thumb".

Toyota OEM rear - about $31 each
Toyota OEM front - about $96 each

Bilstein 4600 rear - about $67 each
Bilstein 4600 front - about $90 each

KYB OEM rear - about $43 each
KYB OEM front - about $64 each

KYB seems to be the cheapest option, then Toyota, and then Bilstein.

The car has close to 200K. I never bothered to looked into shocks until the dealer found out that the rear ones were leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back