Shell vs Delvac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JAG
That sudden explosion of degradation of the base oils is what happens when the antioxidants get depleted too much. I believe Shell’s claim because I think they are confident that the testing was performed properly and that they can defend it against any protestations by XOM.

Yes. I'm sure Shell made completely sure before plastering that in public, so I believe what they wrote. I'd be first to blame batch screwup or something wrong in the logistical chain. Nonetheless, it seems that the oil companies test each others' products on a fairly continual basis, since they seem to find anything wrong on behalf of each other far quicker than does PQIA or API or anyone else. Of course, it's really the core duty of the PQIA to monitor the majors, simply because the other majors will never let one of them get away with anything. Shell, Mobil, and Valvoline certainly don't bother with press releases about City Star oil.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Hi everyone,

Just saw this on Rotella's website. Shell is showing testing that Mobil Delvac 1300 doesn't pass the Volvo T-13 testing.

I am a little surprised that the Delvac doesn't pass. I use the ESP Delvac 1 5W-40 and the Mobil 1 TDT, am have been happy with their performance.

Thoughts?

http://rotella.shell.com/media/2018/volvot13-test-results.html

Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder if Mobil respond to this ad.

And just about the time that I thought all the Majors were the same, along comes this!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: tig1
Here is the PDS for Delvac 1300.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Commercial-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-Delvac-1300-Super

Thanks Tig1, for the PDS. The Delvac 1300 PDS lists the specifications and approvals that Shell is saying that the Delvac sample they tested didn't meet? What is going on?
Not sure about the conventional oils, but Delvac 1 ESP is likely the top oil between it, T6 and Delo in the synthetic realm--it just costs too much.

Delvac 1 30% PAO … Walmart.com now $27/jug …

What reference do you have that the new CK-4 D1 is 30% PAO?

The SDS says primarily group III and GTL as base oils

Originally Posted By: Garak
JAG said:
....I'd be first to blame batch screwup or something wrong in the logistical chain. Nonetheless

I agree. I figure if Mobil chooses to respond to Shell's ad, they'll go this route.

I'm a bit of a novice around here, does this type of testing between oil companies happen often, where one company will point out that another company's product doesn't meet specs?

I've seen "Our Product keeps engines cleaner" or "Shows less wear" claims over the years, but I don't remember ever seeing where a company flat out says another company's product doesn't meet specific specs that it claims to meet.

Originally Posted By: bismic1
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP for $15 a gallon at Pep Boys (15% off currently at Pep Boys, and $12 a gallon all-year rebate from XOM)

Might even be $13.60 if they offer their in-store 20% off discount.
https://www.offers.com/pep-boys/?path=zo...=g&source=s

That's a good price, other than the last time I bought 4 gallons of ESP, the company that handles their rebates, only gave me 1 gallon's worth. I resubmitted, even though the units of 4 was clearly circled, and I had put 4 on the form... Well I got a second single gallon rebate. I hate rebates in general, and XOM is a prime example of why...

Just give me a good ol' sale price and call it at that...

The 6.0 will get the CJ ESP I bought for too much $s :)
The Cummins gets some of my CJ Delo stash (it's up next on the oil change list)...

That is unfortunate for sure. It has worked seamlessly for me all 3 times I have done it.

(I think it might be bad Karma w/ the 6.0L - you might want to sell it to someone in Tx)
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Rotella has very robust add packs, high TBN..sold everywhere.. even JASO approved.

Rotella is NOT Jaso approved.

Shell claims certain oils of theirs MEETS the requirements of Jaso. No where to be found in the JASO Approved list will you find Rotella oils.

Given the apparent authenticity along with the details of Shell's report of Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 failing the Volvo T-13 oxidation test, the question arises is how did Mobil achieve the API CK4/SN license for this product? The data from the report, if correct, clearly shows that the oil failed the oxidation test. Could this failure be an isolated case limited to a specific oil batch? Or, a problem with the oil formulation? I can only imagine how Mobil's OEMs, fleet customers, and light-duty diesel pickup users are reacting to these test results. It will be interesting to see how Mobil responds.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Rotella has very robust add packs, high TBN..sold everywhere.. even JASO approved.

Rotella is NOT Jaso approved.

Shell claims certain oils of theirs MEETS the requirements of Jaso. No where to be found in the JASO Approved list will you find Rotella oils.

True.

However also true of brands like Amsoil, RL, etc when it comes to some API certifications. Doesn't mean they don't meet the intended specs; just means they are unwilling to pay for the license privilege.

Just as Amsoil will warrant their product in their stated API uses, so would Rotella for the claimed JASO applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dak27
I agree. I figure if Mobil chooses to respond to Shell's ad, they'll go this route.

I'm a bit of a novice around here, does this type of testing between oil companies happen often, where one company will point out that another company's product doesn't meet specs?

It has happened a few times, but it's relatively uncommon. I gather they check frequently enough, since that's a major marketing coup. Nonetheless, I highly doubt that Mobil's ordinary formulation won't meet CK-4 and the builder approvals. Something just went wrong here with a batch.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My thoughts? I think Mobil makes the worst products of the major players.
This isn't the first a competitor called out a Mobil product.
I bet Shell is correct on calling out the oil in question and cant be held libel because the product in question is in fact a failure.

It's funny, so many people say Mobil the best but I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be.

There is no best oil, Mobil may not be the best, but there's nothing wrong with it either. I'd much rather use their products over anything made by Supertech after seeing how poorly the latter performed in cold pour tests. Supertech is definitely a bottom of the barrel oil, but even it's not bad if you live in a temperate climate that doesn't get below freezing. I'd put Mobil and Shell neck and neck, I've used both extensively and cannot tell the difference. I've noticed the engine in my Tacoma seems to turn over a lot easier in the bitter cold on the M1 AFE 0W-30 over Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, this is due to a lower pour point, however. Even if it's only a few degrees difference. There's no question who the leader is in synthetic oil sales is, however, Mobil 1 outsells the rest by a pretty big margin, they must be doing something right!

There are name brand synthetics in 5w-30 that have a pour point of -36 C, along with some major builder approvals. It's better to pay attention to the number before the "w" than the pour point for people who do need the cold start capabilities.

ExxonMobil still hasn't updated their PDS for M1 TDT CK-4. If going by the CJ-4 PDS it is lacking in the builder approvals "arena" too.

From Mobil website:

Applications
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is recommended for use in all super high performance diesel applications, including modern low emission engine designs with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). These applications include the following:
On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
Virtually all diesel powered equipment from American, European, and Japanese equipment builders
High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets
Refrigeration units

Specifications and Approvals
This product meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications:
ACEA E7
API CJ-4
API CI-4 PLUS
API CI-4
API CH-4
API SM
API SL
CATERPILLAR ECF-3
API CG-4
API CK-4
API SN
ACEA E9-12

Typical Properties
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

SAE Grade
5W-40
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)

@ 40ºC
@ 100ºC
Viscosity Index
Phosporous (ASTM D4951)
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683)
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)
Total Base #, mg KOH/g (ASTM D2896)
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)
Density @ 15.6ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052)

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Guys, TDT is (primarily) designed for pickup trucks. The Delvac line is for heavy duty use.
Uh-oh, guess my Cummins Ram is going to blow up from all the Delvac 1 I've been using in it! You do realize, back in the CI-4 days, TDT & D1 were the EXACT SAME oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back