Delvac 1 vs. Rotella T Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I got a PM from Jelly that informed me that the only place that sells it retail around here is 70 miles away!That's more of a hassle than finding GC!
grin.gif

Thanks, 59 Vetteman...not fishing today?

[ September 26, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

I went the last 2 days and yesterday a 7 lb. striper impaled a treble hook in my index finger. Had to cut it off and pull it out forward. Darn it hurt. Need a day off to rest.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

I went the last 2 days and yesterday a 7 lb. striper impaled a treble hook in my index finger. Had to cut it off and pull it out forward. Darn it hurt. Need a day off to rest.

You know if you read your response quickly, you could conceivably conclude that you had to cut off your finger!
wink.gif
I'm glad that isn't the case.
grin.gif
Thanks again for the ordering info.

LMAO, yes you are correct, had to cut the hook off and pull it out through my finger. The fish won the first round. But he is destined for Mazola oil in the fry pan, so I will get even in the end.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ron:
Hi,for D1 try Freightliner Truck next to Walmart.
lol.gif

Lake Worth is outside of my normal daily driving radius.
grin.gif

[ September 26, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

George at AVlube, a site supporter can ship any quantities of Delvac I. Cheaper and delivered to your door.

http://www.avlube.com/

If you want immediate oil you can go to your CATerpillar Dealer and ask for their DEO 5W40 full synthetic (Diesel Engine Oil). Same Delvac I in a CAT labeled can and also API certified.

quote:

Originally posted by Brons2:

quote:

Originally posted by radioman:

jme

I think for the most part, it shows exactly the opposite! It shows that Group III "Synthetics" are way, way overpriced for what they are, "Synthetic" Rotella being perhaps one exception, it doesn't seem quite so overpriced.

Nah.. they just charge what people will pay, and since they can legally label them synthetic, they can charge the same prices as any other oil labeled as synthetic. As it stands, Mobil can't charge a signifcantly higher price than Group IIIs because they haven't differentiated themselves from them enough to justify it.

If Mobil was smart, they'd come up with a new marketing campaign emphasizing the Group IV base stocks vs the Group III stocks and jack up the price accordingly. The key would be to differentiate their oil from Group III oils in order to charge more, since the Group III oils are obviously not going to charge less when most people think they're the same thing as Mobil 1 and the other Group IV oils.

Mark,
I don't think that they could mount such an advertising campaign.

If both oils group 3 and 4 meet (and exceed) the current highest industry standards, how do you point at your particular advantage ?

How would you get a discussion of pour points and high temperature performance across to a generally non-caring public in a 30 second advertisement ?

Assuming that you could get the point across, how much cost would it add to your product ?

In my opinion, if you are only using this in a passenger vehicle, no extreme long term drain intervals with a bypass filter, your engine would never know the difference. The pour points, flash points, and viscosities of both oils are very close and the additive packages in both are almost over kill in a passenger vehicle. Rotella is half the price plus you can pick it up any day at Wally World.

Heck I use d1 in my dodge cummins and also in my campbell hausefeld air compressor, runs a heck of alot cooler and not near as loud, that itself is proof enough.

[ October 20, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: mark t ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Mark,
I don't think that they could mount such an advertising campaign.

If both oils group 3 and 4 meet (and exceed) the current highest industry standards, how do you point at your particular advantage ?

How would you get a discussion of pour points and high temperature performance across to a generally non-caring public in a 30 second advertisement ?

Assuming that you could get the point across, how much cost would it add to your product ?

I didn't mean it was necessarily feasible, but that with the Group III = Synthetic ruling, that now Mobil 1 is lumped into the same category as the Group III oils, and therefore can't really charge a different price without differentiating themselves somehow.

Mobil would have less trouble doing that than anyone will getting people to voluntarily lower the prices on Group III oils- why should they, if they can claim they're synthetic just like Mobil 1?

Now the onus is on Mobil to differentiate Mobil 1 from the Group IIIs, not the other way around.

I'd use the same old tried and true things like oil companies have forever, except with Group III vs PAO, instead of synthetic vs. Group I/II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back