Shell Rotella T6 5w40 vs Mobil 1 5w30 in a 2UZ

Hey all

My tundra is starting to burn a bit. Also, the thing seems to only get driven with 2500lbs in the bed or towing 6,000-8,500. It’s maintained with love and an open checkbook, but it’s got a hard life.

I changed the oil on my JDM TurboDiesel camry tonight and was looking at my truck as I poured the t6 5w40 in the 2C-T and thought “why not!?” Could it be harder on the catalyst? Probably. Does that matter to me as much as getting another 215,000 out of it? Nope.

Wondering if there is any merit to that idea

Thanks. It’s not awful - maybe 1.5-2 quarts in 2,000 miles. Just a shame cause I’ve had cars with similar mileage that burn none

I just wonder the consequences of using a diesel oil in a gas vehicle

you may try running some BG 109 EPR in the oil before the next oil change. you could have coked up rings. i like to take the car for a drive to get it up to temp then dump the epr in and do 2000RPM for 20 minutes. dump it and fill with the oil of your choice. EPR is around $20 on the rainforest website.

My tundra is starting to burn a bit. I changed the oil on my JDM TurboDiesel camry tonight and was looking at my truck as I poured the t6 5w40 in the 2C-T and thought “why not!?” Could it be harder on the catalyst? Probably. Does that matter to me as much as getting another 215,000 out of it? Nope. Wondering if there is any merit to that idea?

Install an oil catch can, and get yourself a bunch on Techron Concentrate, or if money isn't an issue, get Red Line SI-1. Run a quart of either with each fill-up for at least four to six fuel tanks. Then change the oil again. All you need to do is clean the piston rings. Don't run Diesel oil in a gas engine. Diesel oil foams badly. Just run QS Euro 5W-40, it's got a NOACK of 5.4%. Good luck, I hope you take my advice and run with it. 👍

Rislone Engine Treatment, BG EPR, Gumout Multi-System Tune Up, a piston soak or try the Valvoline Restore and Protect 5w30 for the burning. Nothing wrong with running the Rotella for a thicker option but I would try something to clean the rings first.

Nothing wrong with running the Rotella for a thicker option
There are multiple reasons why Shell doesn't API license Rotella for gasoline engines. One of them is that Diesel engine foams more than gasoline engine oil, especially Rotella T6.

There are multiple reasons why Shell doesn't API license Rotella for gasoline engines. One of them is that Diesel engine foams more than gasoline engine oil, especially Rotella T6.
I have run Rotella in many of my trucks without issue. Many folks run it without issue, if you don't want to that's fine. If the OP wants to use it, it will not kill the engine.

If foaming in T6 was really an issue then every Subaru WRX/STI, KLR650, or any other higher reving gas engine that ran T6 would have blown up.
It wouldn’t have passed Ford’s requirements either for their Navistar-built PSD 7.3/6.0/6.4 - foamy oil is a big issue with HEUI that Navistar and CAT loved to use.

Back