Shell rotella t 15/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my question is this. I've heard a lot of people use shell in there gas engines because it keeps things clean and is a really good oil. I mean 15/40 isn't that heavy of an oil. I use 20/50 conventional oil in the summer time because of my high mileage. Other than different additives what's wrong with using shell in a gas engine. What do you all think.

What engine are you using a 20W-50 in.
Why are you using that grade?
Leaks, consumption, bad noises?
We have an email from SOPUS posted by a member (who got flamed) in which SOPUS states that no Rotella oil should be used in vehicles with catalytic converters.
OTOH, many memebers including me have used various flavors of Rotella in catalyst equipped vehicles without issue.
Rotella is a good oil, so if you really need anything that thick, then why not?
There's a rebate on it at the moment as well.

98 f150 4.6. I just run a thick oil in the summer heat so it doesn't thin out as much. Just high mileage. I figured the shell isn't as thick as the 20/50 so why not. I just wanna make darn sure I'm not gonna screw my engine up but engines don't know what kind of oil it is they just know it's oil and I need it. Lol. Ive heard it's higher in detergents so it cleans build up out of the engine really good. Keeps it squeaky clean.

nothing wrong with using it.. just has more detergents than oils designed for gasoline engines.

I would use 15w40 over 20w50.

Originally Posted By: Allterrainjeeper
98 f150 4.6. I just run a thick oil in the summer heat so it doesn't thin out as much. Just high mileage. I figured the shell isn't as thick as the 20/50 so why not. I just wanna make darn sure I'm not gonna screw my engine up but engines don't know what kind of oil it is they just know it's oil and I need it. Lol. Ive heard it's higher in detergents so it cleans build up out of the engine really good. Keeps it squeaky clean.

Dont those take 5w20?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We have an email from SOPUS posted by a member (who got flamed) in which SOPUS states that no Rotella oil should be used in vehicles with catalytic converters.

One tends to get flamed when one spams every Rotella thread on the board with the same email.

A 1998 will have originally called for a 5w-30, but may have been back speced to 5w-20. I can't see a 15w-40 being harmful in the least, assuming you're not using it in -40 with unaided starts. Of course, there's nothing wrong with the specified 5w-30, either.

Couple points:

1. You're concerned about Rotella "screwing up your engine", yet currently utilize 20w-50? Interesting disconnect.
2. In regards to the cleaning capabilities of Rotella 15w-40, it's a very gradual process, at best -- don't expect everything to be like new in just a few thousand miles...or even 30,000 for that matter. Something such as this Amsoil product (http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ot...smission-flush/) would be exponentially more effective at accomplishing that goal.

P.S. - I'm an '03 F-150 owner. 225,000 hard miles and running 5w-20 without issue. High mileage doesn't necessitate the usage of such a viscous oil.

I didn't know if there's other additives in the oil that could be harmful to the engine.

No harm. It's a dual rated oil for both gasoline and diesel engines.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Sopus should promptly remove the API SM rating from the label then.
smile.gif

It's not the weight I'm concerned with. I didn't know if there's other additives in the oil that could be harmful to the engine.

As Pete mentioned, Rotella is fine for your engine. However, your reasoning behind selecting it for usage is flawed, at best.

It's not the weight I'm concerned with.

In that case, why not just run the recommended 5w-30 grade?

Heavier oil just takes longer to circulate around a cold engine, and may in fact cause more wear on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back