Shell Rimula Ultra 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

New here.

I have a bit of a interesting situation. I have a VL Turbo which has a Nissan RB30 engine and a Garret T04 installed. Now a friend of mines father works for a company and manages fleed vehicles service mainly trucks. Long story short he could get me Shell Ultra 5w-40 when ever i want for free cos they use it. Yep great i gave him a empty container and one of the guys there pumped it out of the drum.

Now a week ago i went down to his work for the first time get a container filled and yep no worries just go with this guy and he will take care of it for you. So went with him and i noticed Shell Rimula Ultra 5w-40 on the side of the drum that he was pumping it from. So i asked if thats the same as Helix Ultra Yeah?

Anyhow as far as i can see this is the place to ask about oil so here it goes.

I have used this oil for about 3years. My car has done 47890km as of today. I used this oil since 2000km after my engine rebuild. And i changed it every 5000km or there abouts.

My car runs fine and i have no power problems, its smoth, quite. I do suffer from LFS ( Lead Foot Syndrome) and i have taken the car to a few track day. So i do drive it a bit hard. It does not consume oil either.

So come one hit me with it whats the damage? Obvoiusly i should not have been using this oil but i was unaware that i was only for diesl i though i was getting Helix Ultra.

Thanks in advance.

You engine is fine... Maybe not the best oil to be using because it's not rated for your turbo engine, but prob. didn't do any damage to your engine in my opinion...

I would read the owners manual for your engine and see what spec. they call for and find a suitable oil for your engine.

Cheers Mate!
10.gif

Hi,
CIRHS - Oh welcome to BITOG. Continue to use the lubricant with great confidence. It is one of Shell's top range of products

The VL turbo will love this lubricant which is of course especially designed for turbocharged engine application - petrol or diesel

VL's for ever - great great engines in a good car!

Last edited:
Ditto what Doug said, and Rimula Ultra cost 2 to 3 times as much as Delvac 1 here when I last enquired. Maybe Shell has sharpened their pencil since then, but it was bloody expensive.

Thanks for the info guys.

But since the oil is not rated for Petrol its still ok yeah? It has no SX rating.

Also what is Sulphated Ash??

Hi,
CIRHS - As follows

a) The lubricant is suitable for your use - I have used it in a number of Japanese petrol engines (Mazda, Isuzu etc). I believe that is a rebranded version of Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 found in the US but NOT marketed in Australia

b) SA (Sulphated Ash) is used as measure of the metallo-organic additives present in new lubricants. Some modern engines have limits on the levels of SA that should be present in their lubricant. The lubricant you mention has the same SA level as Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 is quite a popular lubricant in the Porsche world and is used extensively in other "charged" petrol engines

As you are aware the engine you have was developed by Nissan in the early 1980s - at least 25 years ago

Originally Posted By: Rollins
Probably this one ?
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_local_TDS_Australia-TDS-001A9817.pdf
Shell Rimula Ultra XT 5W-40

Yep thats the one Rollins. Thats what is written on the side of the barrel Shell Rimula Ultra XT 5W-40.

As you can see its got no rating for petrol engines its only API CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/CF.

Anyhow Doug Hillary seems pretty confidents that its same as Rotella T Syntetic and i know thats a good oil, as a lot of people on motorbike forums rave about it.

I am just a bit scared to continue to use it. But i suppose nothing broke yet and runs like a dream.

People Love PP on this forum.

How would PP 5w-40 measure up against Rimula Ultra XT 5W-40?

Anyhow i just changed the oil today with Rimula Ultra XT 5W-40 that i have been useing. And plugs as well.

After reading a few of Doug posts the man knows his oil. So i will use it with confidence.

I had a look in the oil cap and it all looks like new. I was gonna take the cam cover off to have a look but didnt have the time too busy at work. I had a look at my old plugs and they dont seem to have any abnormal carbon build up so the higher ash level in the oil isnt affecting the engine.

Anyways i will take a pic when i get the cam cover off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back