Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 / BMW B58

I recently acquired a '17 BMW 540i with the B58 motor. After doing some research I think I've pretty much settled on using Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. I live in Phoenix so I'm planning on running this year round. With the specs this oil meets and the higher TBN, should I have any concerns about going with a 7500 mile OCI? I wouldn't think so, but I've not seen many UOAs on this one. The car has just under 40k miles and sees a mix of city and highway miles. Not new to BMW ownership. I've run Castrol 0W-40 in my other BMWs on a 5K OCI ('17 X5 w/ the N55 and '04 325i with the M54). This one sees the most enthusiastic driving. I'm not hard on it but I still like to wind it out from time to time! Also considering making the switch to this oil on the X5. Any info is welcome.

Last edited:
Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is a Euro A3/B4 long life oil, in some applications in Europe they were rated for 20,000 miles or 2 years, so your 7500 miles should be fine.

I think SHU is a great oil, but isn’t it call Pennzoil Platinum Euro over there in the States ?

Yes shell helix ultra 5w40 will do fine.

Bit isnt this engine specd for ll04 0w30 shell from the factory? Atleast in eu

Any reasons why you wont run that?

My 2005 n52 bmw has ran all its life /223k miles on ll04 5w30 and the last 50k on shell ll04 5w30.

How long is your daily commute?
Long daily comutes in hotter areas can do longer oci's than short drives in cold climates because it never really reaches hot temps long enough to vapour off the gasoline and moisure out of the oil.

Yes shell helix ultra 5w40 will do fine.

Bit isnt this engine specd for ll04 0w30 shell from the factory? Atleast in eu

Any reasons why you wont run that?

My 2005 n52 bmw has ran all its life /223k miles on ll04 5w30 and the last 50k on shell ll04 5w30.

How long is your daily commute?
Long daily comutes in hotter areas can do longer oci's than short drives in cold climates because it never really reaches hot temps long enough to vapour off the gasoline and moisure out of the oil.
In the US BMW still specs. LL01 instead of LL04.

My choice:
Motul 5W40 X-Cess GEN2
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle
Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4
Castrol Edge 5W40

In the US BMW still specs. LL01 instead of LL04.
I actually thought LL-04 wasn’t approved in the US except for Diesel motors.

Good to hear on the SHU. I’m going to give it a try. Not the cheapest oil around but definitely looks and sounds like one of the best. Appreciate the input everyone!

I actually thought LL-04 wasn’t approved in the US except for Diesel motors.

Good to hear on the SHU. I’m going to give it a try. Not the cheapest oil around but definitely looks and sounds like one of the best. Appreciate the input everyone!
It does not, but you can use it as it we have now ULSG. BMW uses LL17FE in B58, which is also Low-SAPS oil. Basically, in some way LL04 is thicker version of LL-17FE. BMW made a mess with oil specs. last decade.

Back