SHELL HELIX- Now if we could only get this stuff in NA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helix Ultra uses a mix of PAO, esters, and XHVI (Shell's proprietary Group III wax isomerate). You can get it in North America at Ferrari dealers—just be prepared to pay anywhere from $20.00/qt (0w40) to $60.00/qt (10w60). These are the only two grades imported.

Buster;
I don't think we have to assume anything.
What you just said could spell the end to the little guy if the major oil companies decieded to jump into the performance market.
Lets look at the performance market the majors have participated in.
Exxon and BP Air, generation 3 turbine esters.
Shell, Esso/Exxon, Mobil, Castrol, Chevron, piston engine and aero hydraulic fluids.
API SL/CI-4s, GF-3, A-3s, and Mack EO-N premium plus engine oils by all of the majors.
Ford 153H 5W20 group IIIs.
Caterpillar synthetic wet clutch TO-4s and drive train fluids.
Synthetic paper machine and compressor fluids.
Filled for life gear lubes.
CV joint greases.
EG-D 2 stroke oils.
The performance list from the big oil companies is endless.

Hi,
Primus - Shell appear to have decided not to re-release the Helix Ultra 15w-50 here as an SL
That is one reason why I changed my Porsche to Delvac 1

Like Scholte and "his" GC I took up all the SJ/CF 15w-50 Helix Ultra stock I could find around the place about a year ago. It was/is in a number of my engines and I wanted them to live on it until I sold them off

The SL 5w-40 version here looks different to the SJ brew and I have not used it at all

I still have some vehicles using up the rest of my 15w-50 stocks. It was a very good oil, I'm sad to see it go after a decade or more use!

Regards

Hi,
Sprintman - yes, Helix Ultra 5w-40 is alive and well and that is the only Helix Ultra viscosity I've seen since last year. It has been priced as low as $45/5ltrs

Shell have Helix Ultra 15w-50 in their catalogue but there simply seems to be no availability

Regards

Be careful with the helix ultra 5W-40, as in one Shell data book, it's listed as using their exclusive XHVI basestock, and the next (after castrol/mobil) it's fully synthetic.

It looks like hydrocracked, and its price seem to indicate both that it is, and that Shell are being up front with the pricing of the product.

quote:

What you just said could spell the end to the little guy if the major oil companies decieded to jump into the performance market.

True, good point. It's not an assumption, but fact.
smile.gif

$60 for Shell Helix Ultra? Bloody expensive.

Meanwhile, I may be the only member from Malaysia(just assuming) so I'll gonna post some oil prices here just for fun.

Prices are for 4 liter packs.
RM 3.8= US$ 1

Shell Helix Ultra about RM 130
Mobil 1 about RM 130
Castrol RS about RM 130
and a whole lot more fully syns. Most of them are in the same price range, i.e. RM 130.

But, believe it or not,the most expensive oil in the market is the Petronas Syntium 8000, retials for RM 180. Used by the Sauber F1 team.

quote:

Originally posted by TsLeng:

Meanwhile, I may be the only member from Malaysia(just assuming)

Actually, in the last week at least 3-4 people have joined up who put down Malaysia as their location, and I know there were at least 1 or 2 others on here before that. We're worldwide now!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Be careful with the helix ultra 5W-40, as in one Shell data book, it's listed as using their exclusive XHVI basestock, and the next (after castrol/mobil) it's fully synthetic.

It looks like hydrocracked, and its price seem to indicate both that it is, and that Shell are being up front with the pricing of the product.

Virtually all grades of Helix Ultra have some XHVI in them, though the majority of the base oil blend is PAO and/or esters.

Soory, it should be Petronas Syntium 3000, not 8000.

So, I'm not the only 1. I think its because a link of this site was posted in www.autoworld.com.my the largest auto related site in Malaysia. I found this site through there.

quote:

Originally posted by TsLeng:
Soory, it should be Petronas Syntium 3000, not 8000.

So, I'm not the only 1. I think its because a link of this site was posted in www.autoworld.com.my the largest auto related site in Malaysia. I found this site through there.

Wow, that is excellent....does that make us celebrities?...
rolleyes.gif
No? Oh well.

Did I read that right... $ 60 US per QUART!!!! Holy bleepin' Bleep!!!

... and about the comment about the engine being 100 large...if you bought my Honda engine piece by piece...I think it might be a 100k !! OEM parts prices are flippin' ridiculous!!!

PS - Did you hear the story about the woman who decided to sell her wonderful pies...(bear with me here!) She figured out her cost structure, time etc, added on a little profit...and set her price at $ 5.00 a pie. She lived in a wealthy part of town and figured that $ 5.00 was a good fair price. She sold 0 pies...she tried $ 4.00 a pie... nothing... $ 3.00 and again, no sales. A wise friend told her to try selling the pies for... Ghast! $ 20.00 a pie... she sold all her pies that same day!

Sometimes the price can be too LOW! People often associate quality with price... rightly so or not!!!

I think the woman was Martha S.....not sure though.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Virtually all grades of Helix Ultra have some XHVI in them, though the majority of the base oil blend is PAO and/or esters.

Hmm... according to that MSDS link from earlier in the thread, the 5w-40 is at LEAST 60% XHVI, and at MOST 6% PAO and esters combined.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 1 PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATERIAL IDENTITY: Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

PRODUCT CODES: 50044
COMPANY ADDRESS: Equilon Enterprises LLC, P. O. Box 4453, Houston, TX.
77210-4453

SECTION 2 PRODUCT/INGREDIENTS

CAS# CONCENTRATION INGREDIENTS
Mixture 100 %volume Motor Oil
92062-09-4 60 - 69.99 %volume Hydrotreated Petroleum Slack Wax
64742-65-0 20 - 29.99 %volume Solvent dewaxed heavy paraffinic
distillate
16958-92-2 1 - 2.99 %volume Synthetic Ester
Mixture 1 - 2.99 %volume Magnesium alkyl salicylate
Proprietary 1 - 2.99 %volume Polyolefin additive
-

quote:

Originally posted by mark pruett:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Hmm... according to that MSDS link from earlier in the thread, the 5w-40 is at LEAST 60% XHVI, and at MOST 6% PAO and esters combined.

SECTION 1 PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION

MATERIAL IDENTITY: Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

PRODUCT CODES: 50044
COMPANY ADDRESS: Equilon Enterprises LLC, P. O. Box 4453, Houston, TX.
77210-4453

SECTION 2 PRODUCT/INGREDIENTS

CAS# CONCENTRATION INGREDIENTS
Mixture 100 %volume Motor Oil
92062-09-4 60 - 69.99 %volume Hydrotreated Petroleum Slack Wax
64742-65-0 20 - 29.99 %volume Solvent dewaxed heavy paraffinic
distillate
16958-92-2 1 - 2.99 %volume Synthetic Ester
Mixture 1 - 2.99 %volume Magnesium alkyl salicylate
Proprietary 1 - 2.99 %volume Polyolefin additive
-

What I had in mind when I made that statement were the more current grades of Helix Ultra available in Europe: 0w40 has eclipsed the 5w40; there are several grades of 5w30 (and the AB is the MB 229.5 rated Helix Ultra); and then there's the Ferrari-specific 10w60. All these grades are mostly PAO and esters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back