SHELL CHEVRON TEXACO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the petroleum industry, a program & "numbers on the jerseys" would be helpful to identify the players.

ConocoPhillips is an energy company involved in petroleum production, refining & distribution. Brands are 76, Phillips 66, and Conoco fuels & lubricants plus Kendall motor oils.

ConocoPhillips has a 50% interest in Chevron Phillips Chemical Company.

CP Chemicals is largely a supplier of base stocks to the plastics industry - olefins and polyolefins for polyethylene plastics, cyclo-hexanes for styrenes and alpha olefins, of which PAO’s are utilized in synthetic motor oils.

See the ConocoPhillips & ChevronPhillips websites for additional information.

One of the factors is that the gas stations and express lubes were franchised. So Shell has been offering the moon to change them over to Shell products.
On Amoco, for the label readers or API license readers, Chevron has been making the Amoco lubes for several years. The first year they took over that business they published a bulletin that told distributors what products were being phased out, what product names would stay, and what differences there would be in the products now that Chevron was making them.

It's confusing everywhere: Texaco Deutschland was taken over by DEA in Germany in 1989, but now DEA is gone, because Shell has taken over.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
Just about all the Texaco stations here have switched to Shell. I think I have seen one Texaco station, and I don't know why they haven't switched.

Shell has a near monopoly in Arkansas, or so it seems to me.

I have had no problems with Shell gasoline, except for one particular station! I always get 3-4 mpg less with gas from that place.

In my fairly small town we use to have 2 Texaco stations and 1 Shell station. Now we have 3 Shell stations as of 1 week ago
frown.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
Careful - Shell has never exclsuively owned the Texaco name.

Texaco was a totally independant company prior to the merger with Chevron.

That is why you could find two completely different Havoline oils, depending on whether it was produced and marketed by Equilon or exclusively by Texaco, even well before the ChevronTexaco merger.

Not in the USA. I see you're from MN, maybe there was a different arrangement in Canada that resulted in the non-Equilon Havoline you saw. Or, is there a chance that you just remember the old "Texaco Lubricants Company", or saw some old inventory?

I'm pretty sure that while Equilon marketed Texaco lubricants (1998 - 2001) in the USA, they were the exclusive manufacturer of them. If you believe that to be incorrect, please explain your position.

My information comes from working for Parman Lubricants Company, the largest Texaco lubricants distributor in the world. I've been with the company since 1994 and we've been a Texaco jobber throughout that time. I'd be surprised if I somehow missed the existence of another source for Texaco lubricants. Believe you me, if they had been available I would have been using the second source to beat down Equilon's pricing every chance I had...

Bror, yes I meant to type CVX! When I reached the second occurence of typing ChevronTexaco, I decided to just type the abbreviation instead, and went back to provide the ()... I probably mistyped the first one, and blindly copied it into the second!

Just to clarify (or confuse) the brand vs parent company issue related to lubricants, not fuels,

Castrol is a BP brand,
Pennzoil and Quakerstate are Royal Dutch Shell brands,
76 is a ConocoPhillips brand (Unocal sold the 76 brand years ago).

A few years ago the paint on the signs in front of refineries hardly had time to dry before another name change.

Texaco to Equilon to Shell

Unocal to Tosco to Phillips to ConocoPhillips

TC posted this list (below) of merged oil companies back in April. It shows where some of the other companies fit in. Some correspond with what is stated above, but some updating is needed. I guess just moving Texaco to Shell, but then is Chevron by itself or did they buy some other company? Also, both Valvoline and Marathon are under Ashland, right?

CHEVRON/TEXACO
EXXON/MOBIL
SHELL/PENNZOIL/QUAKER STATE
CITGO/LYONDELL
CONOCO/PHILLIPS/KENDALL/UNION BP/ARCO/AMOCO/CASTROL
VALVOLINE/MARATHON

A carriage return was left out of the last reply to this thread - CONOCO/PHILLIPS/KENDALL/UNION
and
BP/ARCO/AMOCO/CASTROL
are different companies, not all together.

Marathon and Ashland merged in 1998. Valvoline is an Ashland brand.

In Washington State, most Texaco gas stations were re-branded to Shell except where a Shell was already nearby. In that case, they were re-branded to Chevron.

Somebody posted something about Mobil's source for PAO base oil...ExxonMobil is a big supplier of PAO.

Ken

[ June 28, 2004, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

"I guess just moving Texaco to Shell, but then is Chevron by itself or did they buy some other company?"

Texaco has nothing to do with Shell. It was bought by Chevron to form what is now ChevronTexaco Corp. Texaco and Shell had a joint venture (partnership) called Equilon that manufactured and marketed products under both labels until Chevron bought Texaco and the Govt made them sell the Texaco interest in Equilon. Shell bought out that interest, becoming 100% Shell, with rights to continue marketing certain products under the Texaco name for specific periods of time. During this time Shell is converting as many stations and quicklubes to Shell as possible.
It was not as complicated in Asia where Chevron and Texaco already had a 50/50 partnership in Caltex. It simply became 100% ChevronTexaco.

Thanks acovington. My slipup.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Marathon and Ashland merged in 1998. Valvoline is an Ashland brand.

And Valvoline bottles NAPA oil, so I assume NAPA is another Ashland brand.

quote:

Watered down gas.

This is an impossibility, water and gas don't mix. Water and alcohol, well that's another story.

NAPA is not "another Ashland brand" NAPA is in the parts business, they don't make oil. In fact, they probably don't make car parts, they just market them....sell them.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyG:
NAPA is not "another Ashland brand" NAPA is in the parts business, they don't make oil.

You're right. NAPA is it's own brand of oil and they happen to get it bottled by Valvoline.

My dad works for Chevron and explained it to me like this.

Chevron bought out all of Texaco's major capital investments (refineries and otherwise), however the FTC ruled that Chevron could not buy out Shell's interest in Texaco's retail market and credit card divisions. So, what Chevron did was let them purchase those two divisions from them in the Texaco merger, and hand over retail outlets to Shell, along with all of Texaco's credit assets and liabilities. Big anti-trust thing as that merger would have made the largest supply/retail oil company by nearly 25% of the market.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAPA is not "another Ashland brand" NAPA is in the parts business, they don't make oil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right. NAPA is it's own brand of oil and they happen to get it bottled by Valvoline.

I don't think that is quite correct. As I said, NAPA does not make oil. Ashland makes Valvoline and bottles it with the NAPA name on it for them. It's Valvoline Oil, plain and simple. I'd bet part of my Ashland LESOP pension on it.

quote:

I don't think that is quite correct. As I said, NAPA does not make oil. Ashland makes Valvoline and bottles it with the NAPA name on it for them. It's Valvoline Oil, plain and simple. I'd bet part of my Ashland LESOP pension on it.

Ok. I think my problem is I am having difficulty with the concept of "brand." BTW, once I called NAPA to ask about their oil tech data they had me call a number that was to the Valvoline tech folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back