Shell and Kroger 87 octane causing detonation

With current fuel prices logic says the supposed 91 to 93 octane is being skipped over and is most likely old

On the way to a motocross event we were forced to get regular pump gas instead of VP 110 ....
Got some 91 octane got to the track and it was worthless literally worthless ruined a race day

Would have been better of getting the 87 that was cycled frequent and fresh

I think Kroger gets supplied with Shell gasoline. If I fill up any of my vehicles with Shell or Kroger 87 octane fuel, my vehicles don't perform well. I can watch the KR (knock retard) occur on my scan tool when running this fuel (pulls about 1-2 deg out at moderate loads and up to 5 deg at heavy loads). I don't have this same issue if I fill up with 87 Octane from Sunoco, Sam's Club, Murphy USA, BP, Marathon, Speedway or Casey's.

Is anyone else experiencing issues when running Shell or Kroger 87 octane fuel?
So...Shell is selling to Dillons & Kroger? Interesting 🤔

So...Shell is selling to Dillons & Kroger? Interesting
Kroger fuel points do work at Shell stations but I wouldn't say that Kroger fuel centers use Shell fuel just because of that. Kroger certainly doesn't market their fuel as being "Shell fuel" so it's probably just commodity-market fuel that they buy from the open market. That said, I use Kroger fuel quite a bit myself (and have no issues - knock on wood).

I have a custom tune installed on my corvette. The person who I did the tune with, who is very well known in the LS engine tuning world, was very firm on not using Shell gas when doing the data logs for the tune. He said he has seen it hundreds of times, in the logs, where the engine pulls timing back when using Shell gas under WOT conditions.

I have a custom tune installed on my corvette. The person who I did the tune with, who is very well known in the LS engine tuning world, was very firm on not using Shell gas when doing the data logs for the tune. He said he has seen it hundreds of times, in the logs, where the engine pulls timing back when using Shell gas under WOT conditions.
Lew? :cool:

I live in northeast Indiana.

All vehicles in question are maintained and have had their recommended tune-ups performed before the manufacturer specified intervals.

If carbon build-up or any other mechanical problem was causing this issue, I would expect to experience problems using any brand 87 octane fuel - not with just what I buy from Shell/Kroger.

Have had no problems with Kroger's 87 gas in the DFW area. The OP does't say where he is. I've been using it exclusively since 2017 when the store I go to added a fuel station, and the points add up too. Got 50¢ off per gallon today with my May points. I DID have a problem with Sam's gas before that. My Trailblazer would gradually develop a random stuttering in the idle audible at the exhaust that only a bottle of Techron would clear up. No such problem with Kroger's 87, haven't used a drop of Techron since, and it gets good mileage too.

I live in northeast Indiana.

All vehicles in question are maintained and have had their recommended tune-ups performed before the manufacturer specified intervals.

If carbon build-up or any other mechanical problem was causing this issue, I would expect to experience problems using any brand 87 octane fuel - not with just what I buy from Shell/Kroger.
Assuming an E10 blend, Can you test to see if it has ethanol in it? Just add a noted volume of water to a gas sample jar, then mix and watch if the ethanol "pulls out" the H2O. This can be noted by a volume decrease of the gasoline which will now floating above the heavier water/ethanol mixture with a clear line of demarcation. If the UGST was supposed to be splashed with ethanol and it didn't happen at the depot or otherwise the AKI will be likely below 85 (r+m)/2 and you will have ping or knock. on anything other than a 6 to 1 flathead.

I’ve not noticed detonation using Kroger fuel, but I’ve noticed a rougher idle in both my truck (which calls for 89 recommended, 87 acceptable) and my wife’s van (E85 or 87) while using it.

I have a new (10k miles) Kia Rio and I’ve been using a steady supply of Racetrac and Murphy USA 87 octane here in Alabama. We have Shell Rewards and decided to fill up with Shell the last time I purchased gas and noticed a 1.5-2 mile per gallon decrease in fuel mileage over the course of the tank. Nothing changed with travel, just my normal daily commute which is about 80% freeway travel with the cruise on. Now all three station are what I would consider high use/ dispensing stations. Racetrac and Murphy USA have trucks filling their tanks at least every day and sometimes twice a day. The Shell is on an every other day basis.

Actually there’s no way you could do that. A good post by someone who knows what he’s talking about:

Actually there’s no way you could do that. A good post by someone who knows what he’s talking about:

Not sure I follow. All three are on my way to work. If anything, its less convenient to stop at Racetrac or Murphy USA because I have to get off the interstate. The Shell is at a stoplight that I pass by every day.

Not sure I follow. All three are on my way to work. If anything, its less convenient to stop at Racetrac or Murphy USA because I have to get off the interstate. The Shell is at a stoplight that I pass by every day.
no real way to know how often then fillup. not like you camp out there 24hours a day.
Station in front of my work usually there at 3-5am and again later in day, but it could be 5x a day?

Random info:
We have 87/89/92 and 87/89/93 at different stations in my area.

the stations that have 87/89/92 are delivered by keenan and top tier. and the stations with 93 are HOC.

Others are delivered in owned? trucks.. ie SHEETZ delivers to Sheetz etc.

You said nothing changed with travel, which is not possible. Plus the energy density of gasoline even at the same station can vary up to 4% irrespective of a winter/summer blend change.

I have know shell store in ga that enthonal contained information need go inside store get that information.so maybe they want hide enthonal %

In a prior lifetime I was in insurance. One client was an engineer for Texaco. I had a Mark IV that didn't run well on 87. I forget where I was getting it. He told me to put a bottle of STP in the next fill and run 5 fills of Texaco premium. Then drop back to 87 and from either Texaco or Chevron. He told me while all other brands put 1, 2 and 3 scoops of additive in 87, 89 and 91 octane that Texaco and Chevron put 3 scoops in all three octanes. Yeah, that's not correct terms but I don't remember them now. The point was Texaco and Chevron had more detergent etc. in their 87 than anyone else so it ran better. And it did. Better than the car ever ran before. We currently use Kroger because we get $1.50 or so discount each month and barely use one tank per month. So far it runs fine. But if it ever doesn't I'll go back to the Texaco solution.

In a prior lifetime I was in insurance. One client was an engineer for Texaco. I had a Mark IV that didn't run well on 87. I forget where I was getting it. He told me to put a bottle of STP in the next fill and run 5 fills of Texaco premium. Then drop back to 87 and from either Texaco or Chevron. He told me while all other brands put 1, 2 and 3 scoops of additive in 87, 89 and 91 octane that Texaco and Chevron put 3 scoops in all three octanes. Yeah, that's not correct terms but I don't remember them now. The point was Texaco and Chevron had more detergent etc. in their 87 than anyone else so it ran better. And it did. Better than the car ever ran before. We currently use Kroger because we get $1.50 or so discount each month and barely use one tank per month. So far it runs fine. But if it ever doesn't I'll go back to the Texaco solution.

To add: Top Tier gas stations don't variate the amount of detergent prescription between their regular and premium grades. Tried telling a friend this and he just absolutely refused to believe it.

Back