Shear stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Starbreaker666:
What are some of the more shear stable 5w-30 Dino oils out there?

The lack of responses in this thread should tell you your answer right there.
smile.gif

quote:

None of them are really going to be that shear stable (relatively speaking). Just go for the best ones...either Chevron Supreme or Pennzoil.

quote:

As you can see in UOA's Section, even the #1 best selling, most well-known Synthetic out there will shear down. So, logically, 5w-30 Dino's do not stand a chance. Just go out and buy one grade heavier oil than what you need, and pour it in your motor. That way, you wind up with the grade you need even after the shear-down process.

My own favorite Dino oils shear down a lot. I like to use 10w-40, which is notorious for shearing down after 1 or 2 thousand miles. I think I will try adding 1 Quart of 20w-50 during my next oil change. Should help towards keeping it a 40-weight for a little bit longer.

Hmm, I think the 10w-30's are more stable from what I know. My truck recommends a5w-30 all year but a 10w is exceptable. Myabe I'll run just a 10w year around. Colorado gets cold but not cold enough in my opinion to mandate a 5w or lower. My truck works hard and I just want something to stay in gade. My wifes 03 Hyundai Sonata LX V6 will run anything from a 5w-30 to a 20w-50!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back