Shake Your....Edge FST Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had to try the new Edge w/FST. I changed my oil today and I started pouring some golden, clear oil but I remembered I hadn't shaken it up, something that really shouldn't need to be done in sealed newer quarts, but I did it anyway JIC. I put the cap back on and shook and when I poured out the rest it was totally cloudy. I poured half of the next qt. and looked inside the bottle. I saw chinks of what I assumed to be chunks of additives. Some roughly the size of a pencil eraser. Every quart (5 in total) had this issue. I am not worried about it but I sure would have missed out on a lot of additives had I not agitated the bottles. There was all kinds of residue on the bottoms and this relatively is new unopened oil.

Just a heads up to others. I have not had this problem unless I opened a quart and didn't use it immediately or left them in my garage, but these were kept in my home the whole time from the purchase.

SHAKE WELL!!

Please let me know if any of you have had any issues like this with Edge or any other API SN oil.

i opened a quart of new pennzoil about a year ago dumped it into the engine and noticed there was black fall out on the bottom of the bottle i ,ay still have that quart if i do i will take pictures i also have a couple of other quarts from last year i will see if they have the same black stuff on the bottom...
I still used pennzoil after that because i always liked that oil the reason i dont use it anymore is because of the price and i get great results using the oil i have in the drms

I just changed the oil in 2 of my cars with Valvoline Synpower 5W20 quart bottles, I didn't shake any bottle and didn't see any additive at the bottom of any bottle or saw any weird thing coming out of the bottles either.

[censored] that's crazy.....gotta take the bottles over to the paint department to be mixed now? :p

I wonder what happens with the bulk oil tanks at the quick lubes.....all the additives fall out at the bottom?

I wonder if this is their "gulf of Mexico blend"? Just skimmed it from the top of the ocean and straight to the bottle. I am going to give the Edge another chance but if it happens again I will never use their products again.

Call up Castrol and tell them your experience. I had a gelling in cold weather issue with Supertech (Quaker State) when the SL first came out. Spoke to someone from Pennzoil who admitted it was a in the bottle problem only and they were working on it. He thanked me and mentioned that he always shakes the bottle first (just to make sure) when pouring. He sent me a case of Quaker State and a nice letter thanking me. Thats when I realized I was speaking to the head of the department.

Is there any reason why you guys wouldn't think that the oil was cloudy after vigerously shaking do to air bubbles now in the product??

I myslef can see this happening since the bottle was not completly full and the product was moved in this mannor

Last edited:
I know a lot of guys on this board shake their oil. I have a question.

I buy my own oil and my mechanic puts it in. I shake mine also. Most of my stash is in the home. But the 6 quarts of the oil change always spend a month or so in the car trunk. I think they get shaken when I drive. Do you guys think this trunk business is enough to emulsify the contents of the bottle?

It gets mixed when poured...........

The quarts do not say "SHAKE WELL" a la a carton of Tropicana "From Concentrate" Orange juice.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Some oil bottles are needed of a well shake, it also needs a good kiss too !

Haha! Heck yeah,gotta show those bottles some love!

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Is there any reason why you guys wouldn't think that the oil was cloudy after vigerously shaking do to air bubbles now in the product??

I myslef can see this happening since the bottle was not completly full and the product was moved in this mannor

I know very well air bubbles are formed when the oil is shaken, and I actually thought this may be the issue. I Plainly stated if you read the whole post that I could see chunks of additives and a coating on the bottom of the bottles.
I have a stash and I tried to replicate the milky color by shaking several different brands but I could not replicate the color. The air bubbles did not cause any oils to turn milky.

Something I've been thinking of to.......isn't the whole "air bubbles" aspect the reason why the SuperTech (Warren Petroleum ones anyways...) display a "hand + bottle" outline, showing how to pour the oil....? Perhaps to stop the oil from going "Glug.....Glug.....Glug.....Glug...." out of the bottle, making "oh knows! Hella air bubbles?!?"

Or am I mistaken? Don't think any other bottles I've seen display "pouring directions" on their bottles....? lol....actually.....I think DELO? Or Rotella may? But someone chime in here please
wink.gif
Kind of curious hehe.

Never understand the whole air bubble theory, since the air bubbles will dissipate as the oil flows out of the bottle....though the "glug...glug.....glug..." certainly takes longer for the bottle to dispense into the crankcase
wink.gif

Not to mention, as the oil is going "glug....glug....glug..." it's splashing up the sides of the bottle, etc...so you aren't totally emptying the bottles...

To that I say, add a teaspon of MMO, cap the bottle, shake it up, then dispense :p

Kinda like how when I was little we would add a little water to the steak sauce, barbecue, or salad dressing to "get the last drips" of the bottle out...? LOL.

Last edited:
well many bottles can be poured out without the glugging if you hold it the opposite way when you pour it lol

Last edited:
I received six free bottles of Castrol 5W-30 w/Ti FST about a year or so ago as part of a promotion. Last spring I poured 5 qts into my S2000 and remember thinking to myself that it was a very consistent clean oil (not shaken). I left each bottle sit in the funnel for a few minutes to empty completely, and there was no residue at the bottom of any bottle.

So yesterday, after reading this thread, I decided to turn the 1 remaining qt bottle from that batch as well as 4 more bottles I purchased for the next fill upside down. There was no residue or crud visible through the graduated scale window on the bottles.

I think you should call Castrol and let them know about your experience and give them the batch number. Each batch is blennded at least a little differently. I've only seen one UOA of this oil, and it appears pretty well saturated with additives. Maybe your batch was a little over the top!

The first time that I had ever used Castrol SynTech was in a customers car, it poured cloudy. I said, "What"?

I was detailing a customers car and he had asked if I could change his oil/filter while I had his car in my care? He brought with him, 5qts of SynTech and a FRAM filter.

I didn't want to do this OCI and as I told my customer, "I detail vehicles, not change their oil"! I agreed to do the OCI for $25 labor(he was a bit shocked but, agreed). I told this customer that I would have to set up and use different tools(ramps/jack, socket and oil filter remover) and this would prolong the amount of time that I would need his car as I would have to put those tools away and get out the others.

Without realizing, I had to jackup the front end of the car('95 Grand Marquis) and let the front wheels hang free in order to change the oil filter. When all the oil was drained and the filter was changed, I poured in the SynTech and it came out cloudy although golden. Not clear such as every other oil that I had used and I was very surprised to say the least.

I'd call and let them know. I've found dark residue in bottles of PYB and PP that sat for more than a year. All that did was remind me to shake to bottles before pouring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back