Shake down tow complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
I should have went new sooner. Even thought this truck is a 6.0 it is 60 more Horsepower and 40ft/lbs more torque than my 02.

The 6 speed and 4.10 gears really make a huge difference. First gear is awesome. The old truck 1st gear was like taking off in second in this truck.
I like how the 6L90E shifts and holds gear in tow/haul. It also has hill assist and grade braking which both worked excellent.

Way bigger difference than I thought it would be.

Integrated trailer brake works awesome.

Never saw over 3800 RPM on my test run in the same spots the old truck would see 4400 to 4700 rpm.
I just left the cruise on 65 on the highway portion of the run. Held it just fine, the old truck did not hold it as well.

The transmission cooler is really efficient. . Stayed under 170 the whole time.

So smooth and stable. So happy I didn't wait any longer.

Please stop with these threads. You're going to force me to go buy a new truck.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by cpayne5
laugh.gif

LOL. I had the other one for 10 and the truck before that for 8. Both were old when I got them.

This is my first Modern HD truck. It was so worth it. I find myself actually wanting to drive it.

I had the 89 GMC 1 ton for 7 years and the 02 2500 for 10. It was worth it to upgrade as much as we camp/tow.

laugh.gif

I agree, i need more horsepower.

Originally Posted by spasm3
laugh.gif

A LQ4 or LQ9 is a direct bolt-in for your Avalanche.....Send me your PCM & I'll calibrate it for cost of the credits
grin.gif

Cheaper than a Radix Magnacharger.....Which is about the only (True Bolt-on) way to make your LM7 perform like a larger displacement engine. It will actually outperform a LQ9 with a "Cool" 7-8 psi.

Your posts made me curious on what they're putting in Chevy Express these days.. The 6.0L now has 41 more hp than the 05 version, I'm guessing the truck gets more but that's typical. Looks like the 6 speed is offered also but didn't see what the standard trans was. I can see upgrading in a truck but eh we'll keep the old paid off RV for a while. That new transmission would be nice though! The 4l80e has been on it's last 1-2 clutch bands for the last 40k just waiting for it to die to get a beefier version.

Let's see a pic Mike!!! I got a 2018 3500HD too with the 6.0. I love my truck. Pulling trailers is a BREEZE. Hill Assist scared me the first time it kicked in....but I really enjoy it now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
What were you towing?

I have a 32 foot (35 feet 10 inch overall) Keystone Passport. It is 7500 to 7700lbs loaded on the scales.
So while not super heavy, it is long and the extra weight of a 3/4-1 ton really does help.

I towed this trailer with a Tundra so my buddy could compare. It just doesn't feel the same as my current 1 ton or my old 3/4 ton.

While the Tundra had enough power the rest of the truck got bulled by the trailer as in pushed around and it didn't handle sway well at all.
It also porpoised a lot even with a good set of aftermarket shocks. Just not enough Payload.

He was a bit surprised and went all way upgrading to a SRW 1 ton Duramax.

With the old truck
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Phishin
Let's see a pic Mike!!! I got a 2018 3500HD too with the 6.0. I love my truck. Pulling trailers is a BREEZE. Hill Assist scared me the first time it kicked in....but I really enjoy it now.

Hill Assist is so cool! The old truck would roll back. I can take my foot of the brake and it just sits there.
I like the grade braking too.

I can't believe how big of a difference there is between the 02 and 17. I just didn't think it would be worth. I was wrong. The 1 hour shake down run I did was so comfortable, so easy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very cool!

It's always nice to read something like this about someone who seems so pleased with a purchase. It even puts me in a better mood seeing you in such a good mood about it!

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Very cool!

It's always nice to read something like this about someone who seems so pleased with a purchase. It even puts me in a better mood seeing you in such a good mood about it!

I can't think of a time when I was happier about a car. To be honest I love the Caprice, but if I had known a new truck was this nice and did the work I asked it, I would have just bought this first and skipped the Caprice.
But it is payed for and the boy starts driving next year.

My commute is 12 miles each way. I would have put the WS6 back into daily circulation or just drove the truck.

To me the truck was worth every penny enough tough it is the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought. Before this truck I could not understand why someone would buy something
like this for a daily drive. Now I know.

Even my wife is happy about it and she does not care about cars at all. When I started it the other day she said "is this thing running?" I said "Yep" She said "Wow this thing is quiet and comfortable. I am glad I let you buy it" I said "Gee thanks hun"

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by spasm3
laugh.gif

A LQ4 or LQ9 is a direct bolt-in for your Avalanche.....Send me your PCM & I'll calibrate it for cost of the credits
grin.gif

Cheaper than a Radix Magnacharger.....Which is about the only (True Bolt-on) way to make your LM7 perform like a larger displacement engine. It will actually outperform a LQ9 with a "Cool" 7-8 psi.

Thanks! If i find a killer deal on one i might. My truck has a lot of rust on the back end from the previous owner backing boats into salt water, otherwise i would.

I'm kind of at the limit with my trailer. its 30ft 5500lbs dry. Probably 6500lbs loaded, although i have not weighted it. Its my WAG. Truck handles it fine, just not enough gear and horse power.

I'd love to find a low mileage 2500 avalanche with the 8.1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back