Severe settling of FP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have an old (opaque bottle with yellow-colored FP) that I have been using, and I got my father 2 gallons of FP (clear bottle and more reddish colored) for Christmas.

I know that FP has always said to shake well. Thats understood, but I got a severe change recently from the NEW (reddish formulation).

I had two 4oz type 2 plastic bottles, for adding FP. Ive used them for a while, and they work great. I left two bottles in my GF's acura for addition when we drive that car. One was filled with the older FP that I have, and one was filled with the newer stuff that I gave my father.

It sat for about 3 weeks, and have gone through some relatively strong thermal cycles (20F-65F outside temps, so itll be hotter during the day in the car).

This past weekend we were using the car, and we stopped to get gas. I pulled out the bottle with the newer FP, and in the bottom, probably about the bottom 1/4 of the bottle, was white settled stuff. It looked almost as if I had dumped some crisco into the bottom of it. It took me a good amount of shaking to get it all re-dissolved.

The other bottle of (older) FP had not settled out, and appeared fine.

It is important to note that I shake the bottles very well before distributing into smaller containers. So, I think that something either in the amounts of specific additives, or the miscibility in the carrier fluid, etc. has changed in the past 8 months.

Maybe thats why I hadnt ever noticed increased MPG, maybe I even had a bum batch?!? Maybe this was why using FP made my 98 ZR2 knock a slight bit with my (older) FP in it, whereas it doesnt knock at all when I use straight 87 gas...

Just thought Id share. Im not knocking FP/LC, and will keep using them. I just thought it was interesting.

JMH

JMH,

The reason for the new FP having more dye settle out was because Odis has a new dye and was trying it out and doubled the dye amount to make it more red.

It may look funny, but does not change anything. If you'd like you can mix the old with the new and help thin out the dye.

Jeff

Oh, Im not worried or concerned. It was just odd, I hadnt seen this before, even carrying FP around in the middle of winter.

I dont know if it was dye. The main fluid looked the same 'redness' as usual. The settled stuff was actually white.

JMH

Why not eliminate the dye altogether? Who cares what color it is? The dye is an extra ingredient that costs you money and has no effect on the treatment. Leave it out and keep the price down. Personally, I’d rather not have the dye in my engine, even though I’m sure you'll say it’s safe.

I believe it's mainly to differentiate it from LC, and for those of us who use both it's a big help.

On second thought, I think the dye should be changed to green, it would have a lot of selling power around here.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kang:
Why not eliminate the dye altogether? Who cares what color it is? The dye is an extra ingredient that costs you money and has no effect on the treatment. Leave it out and keep the price down. Personally, I’d rather not have the dye in my engine, even though I’m sure you'll say it’s safe.

We may look into that, but yes T-Keith is correct. If no dye it would look similair to LC20.

Main reason is when it is in the measring bottle you know which one you're dealing with.

quote:

Originally posted by kang:

quote:

Originally posted by lcd:
We may look into that, but yes T-Keith is correct. If no dye it would look similair to LC20.

Main reason is when it is in the measring bottle you know which one you're dealing with.

Well, my vote would be to leave it out. I’ve got about a zillion bottles of automotive stuff in my garage and I never get them confused. Besides, it’s not like you store it in the measuring bottle. It gets stored in its original bottle (with the label) until it gets poured into the measuring bottle. After that, it goes right into wherever it’s going (fuel tank, etc). I think people can handle that without getting confused.

I can't use 16oz. at once, both my FP60 and LC20 sit in their own measuring bottles on the shelf.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
.........I can't use 16oz. at once, both my FP60 and LC20 sit in their own measuring bottles on the shelf.

-T [/QB]

Same here. I did scratch "LC" on the top of the Lube Control measuring bottle to help differentiate. But yes, the color difference is the main distinguishing feature I use between the two.

I must be missing something here. I don’t get it. If you don’t need the full 16 oz in the measuring bottle, either don’t fill it all the way or pour the remaining product back into the gallon jug.

Or if you want to keep some of each product in special measuring bottles, use a magic marker and label them. Or put a piece of tape on one of the bottles. Or scratch “LC” into one as Maja did.

Keeping track of the two products just doesn’t seem that difficult to me.

So every fill up I'd have to get a funnel and pour 2 ounces of oil in a 16 ounce bottle, then pour it in the tank? That's obviously not what it's meant for.

It may seem like it's not that big of deal, but when the stuff has been sitting on the shelf for months how are you going to remember. The color is a peice of mind thing if nothing else.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by lcd:

Well, my vote would be to leave it out. I’ve got about a zillion bottles of automotive stuff in my garage and I never get them confused. Besides, it’s not like you store it in the measuring bottle. It gets stored in its original bottle (with the label) until it gets poured into the measuring bottle. After that, it goes right into wherever it’s going (fuel tank, etc). I think people can handle that without getting confused.

quote:

.....If you don’t need the full 16 oz in the measuring bottle, either don’t fill it all the way or pour the remaining product back into the gallon jug....

Actually, "measuring bottle" is a little bit of a misnomer. Dispensing bottle is more correct. I fill mine to the top, and dispense as I need. Then put it on the shelf next to the bottle of "LC", so the color is the first indicator of product for me. Either way, the settled die does not seem to be an issue, so maybe we should let it ride.

On another tangent, maybe a better dispensing system would merit a continued thread. The perfect solution would be gallon jugs with a "medical type" rubber cap, as on medicine. Then use a large syringe, graduated into ounces of course, and inject only what is needed, efficiently and cleanily (is that a word?). But imagine your neighbors, or the guy at the pump next to you, observing you doing that. ("Ethel, this guy at the convenience store gave his car a SHOT! His car mustabeen sick.")

Personally, I like the dispensing bottle that LCD gives for free. I could care less if it was dyed or not, I wrote LC and FP on the bottles, and I keep the bottles wrapped in different color grocery bags.

The coloration is nice, though Id say that the necessary difference in color is relatively minor, so Odis/LCD ought to save money and not put too much, IMO, and just leave a slight difference in color to make a difference.

Overall, Id say dont change anything... I like LC and FP, and think that they are fine how they are. If I can tell the difference by color, great! If not, I can lable bottles and tell them apart. No issue either way.

Thanks!

JMH

I probably wouldn't mind the dispensing bottle, except that it leaks. I gave up trying to carry this stuff inside my vehicles.

Isn't there some type of pump you could put on the gallon jugs that would pump a measured amount each time you pumped it? Just stick the hose in your tank, pump it a few times.

As for the dye I don't need it.

Ive never had a leak.

In fact, Ive gone to Michael's (an arts and crafts store), and got from the paints department a number of 4oz bottles very similar to the dispensing bottle (type 2 plastic) that I got free.

Usually at a fillup I use 2-3 oz, and iots very easy to eyeball how much has been used on these bottles. They are a nice size too.

JMH

Hi Jeff (at ICD),

I like the red dye you use in Fuel Power
to tell the difference between it and Lube Control,
you do not need to change a thing,
when I see the dye settling, I shake it up before using.

Thanks for providing two great products for
our automobiles.

Bill
cheers.gif

Red dye could be mistaken for using some offroad diesel fuel. Not that we add that much of FP to make it so visible, but maybe blue or green would be a better color so that it wouldn't be mistaken if they run a roadside color test from the tank which can pick up minute concentrations of dye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back