setting up file sharing windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody well versed in windows 7 networking?
i'd like to hear opinions and recommendations on the best way to set up 2 or more pc's running windows 7 on a LAN.
the basic setup is a work environment where every user has an account and password,
and there are no other computers or users on the network. the network does not have internet access, just a simple 8 port switch.

i'm used to xp where you set name the workgroup the same on all pc's, and as long as everyone has an account with the same password on each pc networking is simple.

in windows 7, i've heard setting up homegroup is not good? why?
in win7 network sharing you can declare the network you connect to to be home, work, or public. which do you choose and why?
in xp the C: drive had administrative share turned on by default such that having an admin account on both pc's with the same password, i could go \\otherpc\c$ and access that drive. that doesn't seem to be the case in win7.
does network discovery in win7 if turned off basically nuke everything?

Let me know what you find. I had 5 systems on XP all working fine, circumstances forced a switch to w7. It's been several months and I still don't have everything working. I had to DL an app from HP to find out why I could see the printer, but couldn't print to it. Wish I could have stayed with XP.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back