Service Pack 2 - Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded the ISO file for Vista Service Pack 2 from Microsoft and burned a DVD. Installed it on my laptop without any issues and am installing it on the wife's now.

I am running Windows 7 RC on our desktop computer along with Linux.

Had windowsupdate install vista SP2 on both laptops flawlessly.

Will give it a few days/reboots..... before I draw a conclusion.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Downloaded the ISO file for Vista Service Pack 2 from Microsoft and burned a DVD. Installed it on my laptop without any issues and am installing it on the wife's now.

I am running Windows 7 RC on our desktop computer along with Linux.

Do you need to use GRUB, or will the RC7 bootloader handle Linux?

What I want to do is triple boot XP, RC7 and Linux.

I installed SP2 on my partners HP laptop and now I'm doing a factory restore... Would boot up and Blue-screen and do a Memory Dump.

Didn't like something I guess...
grin2.gif

I will do the Factory restore and then do the SP2 update right away to see if it's ok then.

Worked fine on my Toshiba though...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I installed SP2 on my partners HP laptop and now I'm doing a factory restore... Would boot up and Blue-screen and do a Memory Dump.

grin2.gif

I will do the Factory restore and then do the SP2 update right away to see if it's ok then.

grin2.gif

Do a google search, I had something like this that was brand-specific (forget the brand) and I had to undo the SP2, regedit, change a "1" to a "4" then redo... bingo!

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Loading it now, got my fingers crossed!

Worked fine on two Vista laptops...sure took long enough!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: StevieC

grin2.gif

grin2.gif

Do a google search, I had something like this that was brand-specific (forget the brand) and I had to undo the SP2, regedit, change a "1" to a "4" then redo... bingo!

Thanks for that... but I went for the reinstalled because there was some residue from other programs I had installed, lots of patches and updates and just a general sense that it needed a re-format anyways... So it's ok, I'm just a bit perturbed that I didn't get to do it when I decided.
LOL.gif

I installed it last week also. After install, my Avira quit working on start-up. After some research, I found out I needed to install Avira 9.x. After that, everything seems fine.

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 downlaoded on my computer much faster and easier than Service Pack 1. And no problems at all.

I've been holding off on letting Windows Update download SP2 for awhile to see if any news stories surfaced regarding problems with the install and/or the service pack itself. Since Google hasn't revealed anything, I did the install last night. Took about 30 minutes. So far, so good. Haven't really noticed any differences in how my system is performing.

I haven't done the SP2 clean-up yet, but just installing this update freed over 3 GB's on the HD.

My system does seem to boot faster now. I didn't look to see how much free HD space I had before the install, so I don't know if I picked up any with SP2 or not.

I was a little nervous prior to the install, so I "googled" about it to see if anyone was having problems...

I read this comment about someone freeing up 40 Gb's on his hard-drive after updating!
I didn't believe it, but it prompted me to do a before & after check. At least it freed up something, and all is well.

Got no complaints about SP2.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back