Vista SP1 Broke My Computer!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a friggin joke. I noticed that my computer was prompting me to let me know that there was a Windows Update available. I click to see what it is, and lo and behold, its Vista SP1. Sweet, I say to myself, maybe this will fix some chronic issues that I've been dealing with for awhile now.

So I download it and it TRIES to install. Until it gets stuck on a black screen with some random error text. Because of said error, I have to do a system restore from a backup file just to get my computer to boot. After finally getting it going, I make sure that my BIOS, firmware versions, etc are updated. I try again. Same issue.

Not that I'm an expert, but I consider myself pretty computer savvy. My personal comp is in top condition, no spyware or any of that, worked perfectly UNTIL I TRIED TO INSTALL VISTA SP1.

What a friggin load. Vista SP1 is supposed to make my computer better, not break it to the point that I need to do a system restore just to get it to boot into Windows.

Linux is looking better and better everyday.

*Rant Over*

Edit: My computer is an IBM Thinkpad laptop that I bought about 1 year ago and runs Windows Vista Business. Everything has worked perfectly until the Microsoft update fiasco.

Last edited:
For those interested the error code was as follows:

Error Code 800F0816

I did some research, but found very little about it. There have been others with the same issue, but very little in the way of answers.

I'm having a problem reconciling these two statements:

"maybe this will fix some chronic issues that I've been dealing with for awhile now."

"Everything has worked perfectly until the Microsoft update fiasco."

Which is it? What are the "issues"? I wouldn't perform a major update on a computer having issues unless I knew in advance that the update was meant to correct those issues. It might also help to know what apps you are running that were not on the machine when purchased.

There has been a lot published on that subject in the computer magazines. Maybe not as many issues as with XP's SP3, but there are known issues.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
What a friggin joke. I noticed that my computer was prompting me to let me know that there was a Windows Update available. I click to see what it is, and lo and behold, its Vista SP1. Sweet, I say to myself, maybe this will fix some chronic issues that I've been dealing with for awhile now.

So I download it and it TRIES to install. Until it gets stuck on a black screen with some random error text. Because of said error, I have to do a system restore from a backup file just to get my computer to boot. After finally getting it going, I make sure that my BIOS, firmware versions, etc are updated. I try again. Same issue.

Not that I'm an expert, but I consider myself pretty computer savvy. My personal comp is in top condition, no spyware or any of that, worked perfectly UNTIL I TRIED TO INSTALL VISTA SP1.

What a friggin load. Vista SP1 is supposed to make my computer better, not break it to the point that I need to do a system restore just to get it to boot into Windows.

*Rant Over*

Edit: My computer is an IBM Thinkpad laptop that I bought about 1 year ago and runs Windows Vista Business. Everything has worked perfectly until the Microsoft update fiasco.

Aye, mate.

Had the same problem in May after I upgraded to SP1.

System became increasing unstable after a short period of time and finally crashed and refused to reboot.

Luckily, I had a Pre-SP1 system image from late April to restore from. I learnt a very valuable lesson from that:
Quote:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
crazy2.gif

I'm now still pre-SP1, but have upgraded to latest MS patches via Windows Update. System is very stable, now.

May wait for SP2 in future.

I've had no issues on the SP1 update I did for the gf's brother's laptop (factory with Vista), and Have had no issues with SP3 for XP, on 7 PCs i've updated it on :)

Quote:

May wait for SP2 in future.

Of course "calling it" something doesn't make it good....

Since word on the street is "Don't use Vista until SP1" MS rushed SP1 out the door and hence, the ensuing pile of steamy poo.

Until you break the link between releasing software and making money, MS users will ever be in a labyrinth of trying to find a perfectly functional system.

Of course other developers have moved beyond this flawed software release model...

I regret that I can only add my condolences to the OP and offer up a heap of contempt for this, this "product."

-Thomas

Last edited:

If it's a ThinkPad you bought new a year ago, then that should be a Lenovo ThinkPad. Chinese owned company. I like Windows but I hate my glitchy, problem prone Lenovo ThinkPad that work provides. It's bad hardware not the OS in my experience with Lenovo.

If it's a used IBM ThinkPad, it probably just doesn't have the system resources to do Vista. 3Gigs of RAM or better is what you need. It should be on XP.

Check out Ubuntu Linux.

UPDATE:

I finally just went ahead and did a factory restore. Meaning I reverted it to what it was when I bought it. Then I proceeded to install all the Windows updates (there were about 60 updates, but oddly enough Vista SP1 wasn't one of them). Then I did all of the Lenovo updates. Everything is working OK so far.

Took pretty much a full day to get all of the updates downloaded and installed, and also get the computer set up the way I want it. What a PITA. Hopefully I won't have any more major issues.

To clarify my last post, I was having some minor issues (not going into sleep mode correctly, etc) before the attempted SP1 install, but nothing like it not being able to boot which happened afterwords.

Also, yes this is a Chinese made Lenovo. No problems at all with the hardware so far. IMO built much better than the average Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony laptop. This laptop is about a year old, has a Core Duo processor and 2GB of RAM, so that's not an issue with the problems.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I finally just went ahead and did a factory restore. Meaning I reverted it to what it was when I bought it. Then I proceeded to install all the Windows updates (there were about 60 updates, but oddly enough Vista SP1 wasn't one of them). Then I did all of the Lenovo updates. Everything is working OK so far.

Took pretty much a full day to get all of the updates downloaded and installed, and also get the computer set up the way I want it. What a PITA. Hopefully I won't have any more major issues.

To clarify my last post, I was having some minor issues (not going into sleep mode correctly, etc) before the attempted SP1 install, but nothing like it not being able to boot which happened afterwords.

Also, yes this is a Chinese made Lenovo. No problems at all with the hardware so far. IMO built much better than the average Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony laptop. This laptop is about a year old, has a Core Duo processor and 2GB of RAM, so that's not an issue with the problems.

Have you considered using "Complete PC Backup and Restore" utility? It's included with Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprise editions.

I use it monthly to completely backup my system. When I restored my system in May, it took all of two hours. Much simpler than reinstalling from OEM media.

Originally Posted By: Iain
UPDATE:

Have you considered using "Complete PC Backup and Restore" utility? It's included with Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprise editions.

I use it monthly to completely backup my system. When I restored my system in May, it took all of two hours. Much simpler than reinstalling from OEM media.

But these problems should not be occurring in the first place.....

I have had ONE Vista laptop out of the multitude of Vista systems that I've deployed that I had to repair the install (not restore from backup, just boot from the CD and choose repair) on because the client installed a driver for XP that was not compatible with Vista and made the system unbootable.

An issue propagating itself in this manner points at hardware or drivers....

I just got a new Dell Precision 4300 laptop. Great system. Core duo processor rated at 2.5gHz, 4GB RAM, 512MB video RAM, 160GB HDD, and XP PRO INSTALLED. XP works beautifully, at least for me. I have no idea why I should ever bother with Vista. Just got done reading an article about the coming of Win-7. This machine should work fine for me until its arrival. Bah humbug to Vista...

I have not had any problems with SP3 on XP at all. My Desk top came with SP1 already installed so no issues their either. Sorry to hear about your problems Vista has many. I think the bigest cause of issues though is that their are so many old bios,mobo's and programs that just do not play well with Vista. Most people I know that have a lot of problems with Vista have older MOBO's and older bios and such especialy if they try to go with Vista Ultimate!!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

But these problems should not be occurring in the first place.....

Agreed.

I have had ONE Vista laptop out of the multitude of Vista systems that I've deployed that I had to repair the install (not restore from backup, just boot from the CD and choose repair) on because the client installed a driver for XP that was not compatible with Vista and made the system unbootable.

An issue propagating itself in this manner points at hardware or drivers....

MS rep had me run a couple of tests to determine specific problem area.

No problems with my hardware as my system came pre-loaded with Vista less than a year ago. We determined however, problem was down to video driver not certified for SP1. Toshiba have seemingly neglected updating these as latest ones for my machine listed on their download site, are over a year old.

Now playing waiting-game with Toshiba.
21.gif

What video card/chipset is in it? You might be better off just getting generic drivers than waiting for Toshiba.........

I think I have it figured out since I successfully downloaded and installed SP1 today. Basically, it was caused by one of the previous Windows Updates. It was supposed to prep the computer for SP1 but was actually causing it to get stuck in an endless install loop. So Microsoft quit including the update with the Windows Update feature sometime this spring.

Once I reverted my computer to the factory settings, all the old updates were removed and then I downloaded them fresh again. Without the suspect update installed, everything went fine.

Link

Last edited:
What video card/chipset is in it? You might be better off just getting generic drivers than waiting for Toshiba.........

Which is exactly what I've been doing when Toshiba lack of support became painfully obvious late last year. Intel release updated drivers for Mobile 945 Express Chipset Family generally on a quarterly basis.

Also, MS have released this patch within the past month:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950127

..... hopefully it will fix my problem if I ever decide to reinstall SP1 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back